X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dannubis
    Now I know why the past few weeks this place was actually a nice place
    It probably had to do with the fact that you were not threadjacking.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• iPhone sales top smartphone market

By Kevin Allison in San Francisco

Published: September 4 2007 23:16 | Last updated: September 4 2007 23:16

Sales of Apple¢s iPhone outpaced those of the BlackBerry and other leading smart phone brands in July, according to a survey released on Tuesday.

The study by iSuppli, a market research group, comes as Apple prepares to launch the iPhone in the UK, Germany and France ahead of the Christmas shopping season.

The company is rumoured to be planning to unveil a revamped line of iPod music players at a special event in San Francisco today.

iSuppli cautioned some of the iPhone¢s success in its first full month on the market could be due to “pent-up demand following months of hype”. “Real proof of success will come in the coming months as demand patterns stabilise,” iSuppli said.

It said the iPhone could not be directly compared with smart phones such as the BlackBerry or Palm, because iPhone users lacked the ability to install third-party software. The lack of such an ability could limit the iPhone¢s potential use to companies, which are the main buyers of internet-enabled smartphones.

Nonetheless, the results of an iSuppli¢s survey of more than 2m US consumers provided further evidence that early sales of the iPhone met many analysts¢ bullish expectations.

iSuppli said Apple¢s long-awaited mobile handset accounted for 1.8 per cent of US handset sales in July, its first full month on the market. It expects Apple to ship 4.5m iPhones this year.

Apple¢s shares rose 4.1 per cent to $144.16 on Tuesday in New York, capping a rise of more than 15 per cent since the iPhone made its debut in the US at the end of June.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2007

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
        No, you don't create demand by cutting the price.
        In shifting the demand curve, you are creating more or less demand.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkG
          iPhone sales top smartphone market

By Kevin Allison in San Francisco

Published: September 4 2007 23:16 | Last updated: September 4 2007 23:16

Sales of Apple¢s iPhone outpaced those of the BlackBerry and other leading smart phone brands in July, according to a survey released on Tuesday.

The study by iSuppli, a market research group, comes as Apple prepares to launch the iPhone in the UK, Germany and France ahead of the Christmas shopping season.

The company is rumoured to be planning to unveil a revamped line of iPod music players at a special event in San Francisco today.

iSuppli cautioned some of the iPhone¢s success in its first full month on the market could be due to “pent-up demand following months of hype”. “Real proof of success will come in the coming months as demand patterns stabilise,” iSuppli said.

It said the iPhone could not be directly compared with smart phones such as the BlackBerry or Palm, because iPhone users lacked the ability to install third-party software. The lack of such an ability could limit the iPhone¢s potential use to companies, which are the main buyers of internet-enabled smartphones.

Nonetheless, the results of an iSuppli¢s survey of more than 2m US consumers provided further evidence that early sales of the iPhone met many analysts¢ bullish expectations.

iSuppli said Apple¢s long-awaited mobile handset accounted for 1.8 per cent of US handset sales in July, its first full month on the market. It expects Apple to ship 4.5m iPhones this year.

Apple¢s shares rose 4.1 per cent to $144.16 on Tuesday in New York, capping a rise of more than 15 per cent since the iPhone made its debut in the US at the end of June.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2007

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/55e07714-5...b5df10621.html
          Please read the thread before posting information already corrected.

Blackberries outsold iPhones 2 to 1 in July.

In addition, why didn't you bold this?
          As the demand patterns stabilised, clearly Apple saw fit for a massive pricecut to remedy the situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

In shifting the demand curve, you are creating more or less demand.
            Left is less demand and right is more demand.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site

Comment

• Projections from an already-tarnished analyst firms such as iSuppli don't mean much. The whole point to this discussion is iPhone expectations are far higher than the reality of what is happening. Posting sky-high expectations does not do anything.

iSupply says Apple will sell 4.5 million iPhones by year end. It's nowhere CLOSE to that, and year end is approaching.

Comment

• MarkG, Ah ok. Of course they're going to manufacture more, but they way I understood it that they only have 10 million unit batch now, when the release happened. But in any case, I stand corrected.

Also, that projection is a joke at this point. It's way too early to tell. Even though those figures are quite conservative.

And even with those figures, they STILL aren't the top dogs. Competitors are selling tens of millions PER MONTH.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• However even taking iSuppli's revised statement into consideration, the iPhone has still done phenomenally well. It managed to outsell all other smartphones in the US, including Palm's entire product portfolio as well as individual phones from Nokia, etc. Its sales even matched those of LG's ultra-cool Chocolate, grabbing 1.2 per cent of the US mobile phone market share in total.

Comment

However even taking iSuppli's revised statement into consideration, the iPhone has still done phenomenally well. It managed to outsell all other smartphones in the US, including Palm's entire product portfolio as well as individual phones from Nokia, etc. Its sales even matched those of LG's ultra-cool Chocolate, grabbing 1.2 per cent of the US mobile phone market share in total.

http://www.tech.co.uk/gadgets/phones...eid=1243116549
                      Are the chocolates really selling that well? They're pretty old by now, stale...

Comparing a 1.5 year old phone sales to the first month a highly hyped phone is on the market, and all it could do is match? Spin that what you want, but it's not good. And also specifying "individual phone sales" by makers like Nokia? Nokia has dozens of models for a reason, such a comparison is disingenuous.

The fact that Blackberries, with no new models launched, outsold it 2-1 is far more telling.

Comment

As the demand patterns stabilised, clearly Apple saw fit for a massive pricecut to remedy the situation.
                        There's no situation to remedy. No more customers to buy the product for $600. That says nothing about the number of customers who will buy at $400.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Apple will likely hit its goal of 730,000 iPhones in the September quarter. Specifically, the analyst wrote, his checks indicate Apple could sell 804,000 iPhones, essentially in-line with his estimate of 800,000 units.

Comment

Apple will likely hit its goal of 730,000 iPhones in the September quarter. Specifically, the analyst wrote, his checks indicate Apple could sell 804,000 iPhones, essentially in-line with his estimate of 800,000 units.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/0...markets27.html
                            Stop spamming this thread.

Compare those estimates with the "4.5 million in 2007" by iSuppli that you quoted earlier.

By the "September quarter", they're saying 804,000 phones since launch. Far cry from 4.5 mil...

Comment

• MarkG, you do realize what you just quoted doesn't matter a lot? We'll be able to tell the true success of iPhone in 6 to 9 months. "As well as individual phones from Nokia", that means they sold less products than Nokia, wayyy wayyy less, in a region where Nokia is notoriously bad and sucking like there's no tomorrow?

LG? Wtf is that?

If the figures are good enough, that remains to be seen. I think they're not good enough. THis is the RUSH time, since they don't have a new product line coming up any time soon. This is it. THis is where you make your mark, right now.

And this still is an individual country sales, meaning 0. You don't get the market share and profit by measuring one model, it's the company that makes the profit.

So, you do realize that quote means very little?
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Stop spamming this thread.
                                i have the impression that you are not a mod...

Comment

Working...
                                X