This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    This discussion is painful even reading only half of the posts.
    I am the type of man to flog a dead horse. Consider it target practice. It's wrong that it's so enjoyable to flog some dead horses on this site.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Ewwwww.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
        That's not a case of a fall in forcasted demand. It's a case of clearing out and old product and moving in a new product. That said, I don't think it's normal. It think Sony didn't do a very good job.
        It's not really that different, is it? There's remarkable parallels.

Sony had a 20GB PS3 and a 60GB PS3 at launch. Apple had a 4GB iPhone and 8GB iPhone at launch. Both hyped up. Both had high initial sales which were not sustained.

Sony quietly discontinues the 20GB PS3, brings the 60GB PS3 to the 20GB's price point to increase sales and clear inventories. Apple quietly discontinues the 4GB iPhone, brings the 8GB iPhone to the 4GB's price point to increase sales and clear inventories.

This can even go farther.

Sony then launches a 80GB PS3 at the pricepoint where the the 60GB used to be. Apple looks like it'll launch a 16GB iPhone in November (at least in Europe) , probably at the original 8GB iPhone pricepoint.

Both companies are dealing with products that are not living up to expectations. Apple is obviously in some kind of panic mode, cutting their price far sooner for far more than Sony, but the same principle applies.

And I agree with you, I don't think they're doing very good jobs.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Apple quietly discontinues the 4GB PS3, brings the 8GB PS3 to the 4GB's price point to increase sales and clear inventories.

Woah, where can I buy an Apple PS3?

Comment

• Asher,

Very little of what you said is about how many phones are counted as sold which have not actually been sold to customers. That's the issue here. At least Wiglaf is addressing it.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
              Asher,

Very little of what you said is about how many phones are counted as sold which have not actually been sold to customers. That's the issue here. At least Wiglaf is addressing it.
              There is no issue. This has already been explained.

"Sold" to Apple means it was purchased by retailers. That's all it means.

Activations are the metric to find out how many are in use by customers (that is, how many were purchased).

Why do you think AT&T isn't shouting to its shareholders from the rooftops on how many new iPhone activations they've had? Because it certainly wouldn't help their share price. And why is that?

The only activation numbers AT&T have given have been VERY low compared to Apple's "sold"/shipped to retailers number. Why is that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                Apple quietly discontinues the 4GB PS3, brings the 8GB PS3 to the 4GB's price point to increase sales and clear inventories.

Woah, where can I buy an Apple PS3?
                It's easy to confuse both devices. So much hype, so little delivered, so little sold...

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

It's not really that different, is it? There's remarkable parallels.

Sony had a 20GB PS3 and a 60GB PS3 at launch. Apple had a 4GB iPhone and 8GB iPhone at launch. Both hyped up. Both had high initial sales which were not sustained.

Sony quietly discontinues the 20GB PS3, brings the 60GB PS3 to the 20GB's price point to increase sales and clear inventories. Apple quietly discontinues the 4GB iPhone, brings the 8GB iPhone to the 4GB's price point to increase sales and clear inventories.

This can even go farther.

Sony then launches a 80GB PS3 at the pricepoint where the the 60GB used to be. Apple looks like it'll launch a 16GB iPhone in November (at least in Europe) , probably at the original 8GB iPhone pricepoint.

Both companies are dealing with products that are not living up to expectations. Apple is obviously in some kind of panic mode, cutting their price far sooner for far more than Sony, but the same principle applies.

And I agree with you, I don't think they're doing very good jobs.
                  I don't think any of that means that the products aren't living up to expectations. I thought the PS3 was exceeding expectations. From what you showed us they just had some logistical problems.

As for the iphone you can't assume that there are any problems like that. I lost you and I'm going to sleep now.

Comment

• @ thread title
                    A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

• Oh for god's sake.

There goes another thread wrecked by Asher.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Could someone tell me one thing that bugs me with this thing: Why do the iPhone owners have to activate the phone in the first place? Another proof of Apple control mania?
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• I'm kind of glad Asher is back now
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Well yeah, it brings a certain amount of activity and entertainment into this place again.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• That and he can give Agathon a good pasting. I forgot how obnoxious Agathon was when left unchecked.
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                                Yet, we do know that Apple introduced a massive pricecut very early, something unprecented.
                                Yahoo News

Analysts said quick discounts are typical for the cell phone industry, however. The world's best-selling cell phone, Motorola Razr, for instance, debuted at $499 but can now be bought for less than $100.
                                cnnmoney

"Investors think something is wrong with demand, but we felt even before the price cut that Apple was going to make or even exceed its targets," said Gene Munster, an analyst at Piper Jaffray. "In the short term, it will cost them some profits, but there's an even better tradeoff."

Price cuts for cellphones - even high-end ones - aren't unusual. Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.'s (005930.SE) popular Blackjack smartphone and Motorola Inc.'s (MOT) Razr both saw rapid cuts, and Razr now is essentially given away with a new contract.
                                Now you don't have anything.

Welcome back from Mingapulco
                                Last edited by Kidlicious; September 9, 2007, 09:42.

Comment

Working...
                                X