This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wiglaf
    Why plan a price drop without first analyzing market demand?

Of course they analyzed market demand. That's not accurate though when you don't have previous sales data on the product.
    Why drop the price if sales exceed expectation?
    You forcast how many people will buy at the top price. You want things to be continuous so you drop your price when you forcast meeting sales expectations at the current price.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
      The fact is that sales have been good, and probably have met or exceeded forcasts. So a price drop has been as planned.
      They've probably met or exceeded forecasts, thus they dropped the price? Have you been auditing Agathon's Philosophy of Logic classes?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

There's 1800 AT&T stores and at 50-90 iPhones a store counting as "sold," there would be a big discrepancy between iphones activated and iphones sold.
        btw, I believe Asher's claim was that most of the phones have not been activated.

Comment

I certainly think it qualifies as having "a bunch of iPhones sitting on shelves," which is what you denied earlier.
          No, a bunch I meant much more than 50-90 at each store. And when did they have that many at ea store? I bet they don't have that many at ea store today.

Comment

btw, I believe Asher's claim was that most of the phones have not been activated.
            The iPhones are completely useless without activation. You cannot even use the iPod functionality on them. This is a useless distinction... unactivated iphones are unpurchased iphones. This is another one of your ridiculous claims, that significant amounts people buy iPhones then look at the pretty box for weeks on end.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

You seem to think these products are made the week before they arrive in stores.
              Nothing that I said should make you believe that. I just said that it goes back to manufacturing. The factories have udated forecasts and adjust appropriately.
              Sony encountered something similar recently with the PS3, actually. Why do you think they cut the PS3 price? The reasons are identical to the iPhone price cut, but the PS3 price cut wasn't nearly as large nor as soon -- which to me indicates some major problems with iPhone uptake.
              No, the price cut was for the same reason, but not due to excess inventory anywhere.

Comment

Nothing that I said should make you believe that. I just said that it goes back to manufacturing. The factories have udated forecasts and adjust appropriately.

No, the price cut was for the same reason, but not due to excess inventory anywhere.
                The entire purpose was excess inventory! They cleared out every single one of the 60GB PS3s from stock. This was even publicly stated and very well documented. PS3s were highly hyped, sold well the first few weeks, then fell flat with demand. Sony cut the price to clear out inventory of the 60GB PS3 to try to revitalize lagging sales... sound familiar?

It is patently clear that you do not observe the market with as keen an eye as others here...

Comment

The iPhones are completely useless without activation. You cannot even use the iPod functionality on them. This is a useless distinction... unactivated iphones are unpurchased iphones. This is another one of your ridiculous claims, that significant amounts people buy iPhones then look at the pretty box for weeks on end.
                  No. I do not believe that people buy the phones and don't activate them. Wiglaf said that 144,000 phones have not been activated. That's not most of the phones, so I said that you claimed that most of the phones haven't been activated.

How the hell is that thinking that people by phones and don't activate them?

Comment

No. I do not believe that people buy the phones and don't activate them.
                    You're squirming so much you're contradicting what you said in this thread just a few hours ago.

Is it possible that some iphones have been purchased but have not been activated. Of course it is. So what do the activation numbers mean.

Comment

They've probably met or exceeded forecasts, thus they dropped the price? Have you been auditing Agathon's Philosophy of Logic classes?
                      You don't seem to understand that they plan to have differing prices throughout the product life cycle, and plan to sell to different types of customers throughout the life cycle.

Comment

You're squirming so much you're contradicting what you said in this thread just a few hours ago.
                        People don't always activate the phone right after they buy them. That doesn't mean they bought it for decoration.

Comment

You don't seem to understand that they plan to have differing prices throughout the product life cycle, and plan to sell to different types of customers throughout the life cycle.
                          I understand it just fine. But to cut the price so much, so quickly is unprecedented and alienates their most treasured buyers -- the fanboys who bought stood in line and bought it and supported them when it came out. Don't think people won't remember this the next time Apple launches a typically overpriced product, why not wait 2 months and save $200?

The problem isn't that they cut the price, it's that they cut the price so quickly by so much. It's simply not normal, and it signals things are not going as planned.

Comment

• No. I do not believe that people buy the phones and don't activate them. Wiglaf said that 144,000 phones have not been activated. That's not most of the phones, so I said that you claimed that most of the phones haven't been activated.
                            Of the 700,000 phones apple says it sold in the first few days (600,000-700,000), only 146,000 were activated. AT&T notes that ~2% of people had problems activating; and they'd know, since they are contacted during attempted activations.

The 144,000 figure was from a different argument. The number is very approximate, since there are probably more than 1800 AT&T stores and certainly more warehouses. I was trying to impress upon you that there might in fact be a lot of iPhones idling on shelves.

Comment

People don't always activate the phone right after they buy them. That doesn't mean they bought it for decoration.
                              You can't BS your way out of this. Either way, the comment was ridiculous. When you splurge $600 on a brand new product that just came out (indicating a certain level of eagerness to buy it at a high price and so soon), you do not wait around to activate it for another day...even if this does happen, the amount of people would be incredibly insignificant.

Comment

• It certainly wouldn't be 75% of new iPhone owners.

So they wanted to rip off the apple crazies, then lower it because no one else would pay $600 for their phone? We can agree on this.

Comment

Working...
                                X