X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Whaleboy
    no-one really gives a sh*t
    I don't give a **** about the phone or the company. I just want to pwn Asher.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Well, that certainly explains why you're ignoring common sense and intelligent discussion in favour of just trying to disagree with me.

There's simply no way that the iPhone sales were acceptable if such a drastic drop took place. It's that simple.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf
        Nikolai - Apple/AT&T "sold" 500,000 phones in its first weekend but AT&T only reported 146,000 activations.

That is all the proof you need that a "sold" iPhone means one sold to retailers. Unless you think 75% of new iPhone owners decided to buy a phone in the first weekend but not actually use it.
        Actually, they sold 270,000 up until midnight Saturday. AT&T couldn't handle the massive rush of activations, so many people who bought them the first weekend couldn't get online. It was widely reported at the time, and affected a hell of a lot of people (at least a third of the people on a forum I go to, who bought the damn thing).

As for other numbers, Apple has stated that it expects to sell the millionth iPhone sometime in the next 3 weeks.

Asher knows next to nothing about Apple. The company typically doesn't hold much in the way of inventory (this was something Jobs fixed when he came back to the company), so shipments are a pretty good guide to sales. If they aren't moving, they stop making them fast. Anyone who knows anything about the modern Apple knows that.

Besides, "sold to retailers" means very little when the vast majority of iPhones were sold by Apple's own stores.

As I said above, the price drop is not significant when the true cost of the phone is taken into account. It's primarily meant to stop the new iPod from cannibalizing iPhone sales, even though it isn't much of a discount. The iPhone is selling well, and will probably meet expectations.

There's no point in listening to Asher. He's the mental defective who kept predicting that the iPod would be eclipsed in sales by WMA based players, and that Apple's iTunes Music store was doomed by companies like the now defunct IIRC Buymusic.com. He also claimed that Apple shares were wildly overvalued (when they were about $60 a share).

To date, Apple has sold about 100 million iPods and is now the third largest music retailer in the United States. Most of these sales occurred after his repeated predictions of doom. Apple stock is currently going at about $140 a share.

How could someone be so spectactularly wrong as Asher? It must be genetic. Why would anyone believe somebody with such a consistent rate of failure? As a tech prognosticator, he's utterly useless.

Reminds me of another wreck...
        Attached Files
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Asher knows next to nothing about Apple. The company typically doesn't hold much in the way of inventory (this was something Jobs fixed when he came back to the company), so shipments are a pretty good guide to sales. If they aren't moving, they stop making them fast. Anyone who knows anything about the modern Apple knows that.

Can you read? Asher was claiming that AT&T had the inventory, not Apple. He claimed that Apple stores were selling out but AT&T stores were not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            Asher knows next to nothing about Apple. The company typically doesn't hold much in the way of inventory (this was something Jobs fixed when he came back to the company), so shipments are a pretty good guide to sales. If they aren't moving, they stop making them fast. Anyone who knows anything about the modern Apple knows that.

Can you read? Asher was claiming that AT&T had the inventory, not Apple. He claimed that Apple stores were selling out but AT&T stores were not.
            Except that the AT&T stores had, and continue to have, very little in the way of inventory. Most of them sold out on the opening weekend.

If you want an iPhone, you haven't gotten one yet, and you operate in slow motion, now would probably be a good time to start worrying about availability. We've been hearing wide-scale reports since yesterday from AT&T stores across the country that locations have been unable to keep the device in stock, with some selling out in a matter of minutes after launch all video game console-style. For folks within driving distance of an Apple store, that hasn't been a problem so far because Apple's own retail locations seem to have been supplied with many, many units -- and that, friends, is what's starting to change. According to Apple's iPhone locator, there are still plenty of locations with stock -- but unlike last night, it's not difficult at this point to find stores that have sold out as well. Think there's any chance Apple's gonna let the pipe run dry?

Apple kept most of the stock, and even then most of their stores were selling out day after day for most of the first week (they had an availability app on their website – apart from a few places in the middle of nowhere and the heavily supplied downtown New York store, they were having to deliver new batches of phones every day).

But don't let facts get in the way of your Apple bashing fantasy.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

• But don't let facts get in the way of your Apple bashing fantasy.

where did that come from?

Comment

• As I said above, the price drop is not significant when the true cost of the phone is taken into account.
                That's like news reports that speak of an accident with only minor injuries. Minor to them maybe, not the on injured.
                Ditto for the people who rush out and buy things right away. It's their fault they rushed out and bought them, but that doesn't make them feel any better.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
                  I was referring to AT&T. Repeatedly. And clearly. Not Apple's stocks.

AT&T bought a lot of iPhones from Apple, which contributed many "sales". Why wouldn't they? The iPhone was more hyped than the return of Jesus would be.

Besides, "sold to retailers" means very little when the vast majority of iPhones were sold by Apple's own stores.
                  Precisely. Why don't you think about that for a moment?

The vast majority were sold to consumers by Apple's stores. AT&T stores didn't actually sell many, did they? I wonder how this plays into the notion that AT&T had excess stock?

The iPhone is selling well, and will probably meet expectations.
                  "Well" is relative. To you, if it sold 6 copies it'd be selling well. Apple clearly did NOT think it was selling well, if it had to make a massive price cut so early after introduction.

There's no point in listening to Asher. He's the mental defective
                  Ming...

who kept predicting that the iPod would be eclipsed in sales by WMA based players, and that Apple's iTunes Music store was doomed by companies like the now defunct IIRC Buymusic.com. He also claimed that Apple shares were wildly overvalued (when they were about $60 a share).
                  While I admit that I do believe that the iPods will not always be dominant, the rest of the things you mentioned were total lies.

How could someone be so spectactularly wrong as Asher? It must be genetic. Why would anyone believe somebody with such a consistent rate of failure? As a tech prognosticator, he's utterly useless.

Reminds me of another wreck...
                  Your unending personal attacks are duly noted -- alongside the fact that you refuse to address real points. We've no need for paid Apple shills here, Agathon.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand

That's like news reports that speak of an accident with only minor injuries. Minor to them maybe, not the on injured.
                    Ditto for the people who rush out and buy things right away. It's their fault they rushed out and bought them, but that doesn't make them feel any better.
                    It's an illusion.

They are actually being sold a phone that costs them more than $2000 over two years. Complaining about a discount that is less than %10 is irrational. It looks like a really steep discount when it isn't.

If AT&T were smart, they would start complaining about how heavy iPhone internet use is swamping their network and announce a surcharge of $5 on every monthly bill.

Then a few weeks later, Apple announces that the iPhone is being reduced in price to $99. Some people would probably rush out and buy one, even though the cost would still be the same.

See how it works...
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
                      Except that the AT&T stores had, and continue to have, very little in the way of inventory. Most of them sold out on the opening weekend.

If you want an iPhone, you haven't gotten one yet, and you operate in slow motion, now would probably be a good time to start worrying about availability. We've been hearing wide-scale reports since yesterday from AT&T stores across the country that locations have been unable to keep the device in stock, with some selling out in a matter of minutes after launch all video game console-style. For folks within driving distance of an Apple store, that hasn't been a problem so far because Apple's own retail locations seem to have been supplied with many, many units -- and that, friends, is what's starting to change. According to Apple's iPhone locator, there are still plenty of locations with stock -- but unlike last night, it's not difficult at this point to find stores that have sold out as well. Think there's any chance Apple's gonna let the pipe run dry?

Apple kept most of the stock, and even then most of their stores were selling out day after day for most of the first week (they had an availability app on their website – apart from a few places in the middle of nowhere and the heavily supplied downtown New York store, they were having to deliver new batches of phones every day).

But don't let facts get in the way of your Apple bashing fantasy.
                      Note that both of your sources point to launch day scenarios. There was speculation at that time that Apple kept most of its launch stocks for its own stores. The problem was not, and never has been, first-day launch window scenarios -- which caters to the hardcore fanboys. The problem was sustaining the sales, which clearly did not happen and precipitated a massive price cut.

Comment

• By the way...even after the drastic pricecut, virtually every Apple store still has stocks of iPhones for sale:

Powerful. Beautiful. Durable. Check out the new iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, iPhone 15, and iPhone 15 Plus.

Clicking around on various states, it looks like 99% of Apple stores have iPhones in stock days after the $200 pricecut...

There must've been a big jump in sales after the cut, but inventory levels are still ample. What does that say about stock levels before the cut?

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                          The vast majority were sold to consumers by Apple's stores. AT&T stores didn't actually sell many, did they? I wonder how this plays into the notion that AT&T had excess stock?
                          Oops. Your ignorance of supply chain management is showing. Just because something doesn't sell well doesn't mean there is a large inventory of it. Assumption based on ignorance on your part.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
                            After I searched for iphone activation I found a bunch of people claiming to have trouble with activation. Activation rates for the first couple days don't mean anything.
                            Did you even read this post?

Most iphone users had no problems activating, also:

quote:

But a source familiar with the situation said that just less than 2 percent of the buyers had problems activating their service with AT&T Wireless, the unit of AT&T (Charts, Fortune 500) that is the exclusive wireless phone provider that uses the device.

AT&T said only that the overwhelming majority of its customers activated the iPhones without any problems. "We're extraordinary pleased on how things have gone," said Mark Siegel, spokesman for the wireless unit of AT&T.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/02/tec...y/iphone_sales/

Comment

• Ignorance of supply chain management? Do you seriously think AT&T negotiated a 5 year exclusive deal with the iPhone, promoted the hell out of it, then didn't ship a lot of units to their stores?

I'm not ignorant of supply chain management, you're ignorant of business strategy in general.

Do you think AT&T ordered about 5 iPhones per store? Or would they try to stock up on what they think is the biggest device launch in years? The people buying the iPhones are Apple fanboys. That's why Apple Stores outsell AT&T 7-1. No, there's no link for this, so don't bother asking. You'll find that for most things in life, there is no google result...you need to analyze and think. Let's try to walk you through this.

Answer me this: Why are Apple stores outselling AT&T 7-1?

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                                By the way...even after the drastic pricecut, virtually every Apple store still has stocks of iPhones for sale:

Powerful. Beautiful. Durable. Check out the new iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, iPhone 15, and iPhone 15 Plus.

Clicking around on various states, it looks like 99% of Apple stores have iPhones in stock days after the $200 pricecut...

There must've been a big jump in sales after the cut, but inventory levels are still ample. What does that say about stock levels before the cut?
                                Asher,

Everything you are saying doesn't mean anything. The fact taht they reduced the price and the fact that they have their stores stocked doesn't mean anything. That's all normal.

Comment

Working...
                                X