Female aggressor encroaches on male bastion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female aggressor encroaches on male bastion

With a mirror, lip gloss and a packet of mints hidden in the pockets of her famous blue and red livery uniform, Moira Cameron has become the first woman Beefeater in 522 years to report for duty at the Tower of London.

The 42-year-old, from Argyll in Scotland, began her first shift as a uniformed Yeoman Warder protecting Britain’s Crown Jewels this morning, after two months of training.

Miss Cameron, who previously admitted to a fear of ravens, joked that she had no plans to grow a beard to fit in with her 34 male colleagues.

“This place is magical. It’s just a wonderful job and I’m very, very lucky to have it,” said a beaming Miss Cameron.

“You wake up in the morning and you know you’re going to have a good day.”

Miss Cameron is a Warrant Officer Class 2 who joined the army at 20 and has spent time in Northern Ireland and Cyprus

She was selected over five men to join the historical guard corps, which was created in 1485 with the role of providing security for the 900-year-old Tower, built by William the Conqueror.

Yeoman Warder candidates must have been a warrant officer or senior non-commissioned officer, have served at least 22 years in the army, Royal Air Force or Royal Marines and hold the Long Service and Good Conduct medal.

The Warder’s main role is to guard the Tower and the Crown Jewels, however they spend most of their days guiding visitors and posing patiently for snapshots. They also attend coronations, funerals and charity functions.

Chief Yeoman Warder John Keohane said Miss Cameron’s male colleagues had anticipated that a woman would one day join their ranks, and only one or two had expressed reservations.

“She’s been here for two months and been accepted by the community,” said Mr Keohane, who looks very much the traditional image of a bearded Beefeater.

“Life is moving on here at the Tower,” Mr Keohane said

Hehe - imagine this. 50 years after Britian got a female sovereign, it is now also possible for a female to guard said sovereign's jewelry

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

I was reading about this earlier. Very interesting. I'm sure she's rightfully thrilled. Ground breaking.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

. . . the role of providing security for the 900-year-old Tower
      Bah! They make her guard some old tower?! They should at least give her a new tower to guard.

Comment

Yup, a new p i n k one.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Re: Female aggressor encroaches on male bastion

Originally posted by Asmodean

Hehe - imagine this. 50 years after Britian got a female sovereign, it is now also possible for a female to guard said sovereign's jewelry

Asmodean
          Only 50 years? Didn't realise Liz was the first.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Re: Female aggressor encroaches on male bastion

Originally posted by Wezil

Only 50 years? Didn't realise Liz was the first.
            Well she wasn't, was she

Elizabeth I ruled a gazillion years ago, but that only rams my point home even clearer
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

And even before her was the Empress Maude, who was Richard the Lionhearted & King John's grandmother. (Although she was the legitimate successor to the throne, her cousin Stephen launched a long & bloody rebellion against her, so she never ruled outright).

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                And even before her was the Empress Maude, who was Richard the Lionhearted & King John's grandmother. (Although she was the legitimate successor to the throne, her cousin Stephen launched a long & bloody rebellion against her, so she never ruled outright).
                So you are saying the Brits have a long history of Queens?
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Good for Miss Cameron.
                  PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                  >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

So um, she'll be preparing and serving the steaks for her colleagues?

I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                      So um, she'll be preparing and serving the steaks for her colleagues?
                      Bah! Women don't know how to cook a good steak. That's men's work!

Comment

You know what this means don't you? New curtains.

Comment

Well, yeah, but after 900 years, it's about time the ol' tower got some new curtains.

Comment

The bathrooms definately need sprucing up.

Comment

Hmmm, cleaning out 900-year-old latrines. That's definitely women's work.

Comment

Working...
                              X