The Sports Forum should be renamed..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sports Forum should be renamed..

.. to the U.S. Corporate Team Sport and Token International Football Thread Forum.

That's practically all it is. A thread on the new World 100 m Champion got no replies. No other discussion of the World Athletics Championships in Osaka. No threads on Tour de France and the ongoing doping scandals. No threads on the major tennis tournaments.

It should be interesting to see if next year's Olympics will even warrant getting a thread.

Certainly, I have no problem with people enjoying the rather narrow topical threads that are there. Good on 'em.

What I do have a slight problem with is that this "Sports Forum" has effectively killed all other discussion on athletics, tennis, assorted international team sports and so on, since the people who frequent the Sports Forum obviously aren't interested - and threads covering those broader based sports can't be created in the main OT forum where people who might take an interest would actually see them.

We used to have quite a few threads on specific World Cup or Euro Football qualifiers for instance. Created on a spur of the moment in anticipation of or elation/grief over particularly important or emotionally charged match-ups. I miss those. When Liechtenstein manages to tie Belgium for a qualifier there should be a place for general OT commentary. We used to have that in the OT. Now we have the option of commenting in post # 438 of an international football thread mainly concerned with the English Premier League - in a subforum that I would wager about 30 people frequent with any regularity. That's clearly a step back from what we had before.

The solution as I see it is to kill the Sports Forum and incorporate topics of sport back into the OT. Unless of course I'm the only one who perceive that there's been a slight mistake made in separating out the sports threads. Did we ever hear what motivated the separation in the first place?

Sorry for being so long-winded about it..

this should be in the sports forum

Comment

It's really up to the participant members.
      You really can't fault people for being involved. It's sad that the arena of interest to you is cheered by deadasses.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm not faulting anyone - except perhaps the admins who decided to divide up the OT.

Ask yourself this: Is it working better now than before the sports debate got separated? In my opinion it isn't. Considerably worse, actually.

Comment

Were it my decision, I'd do away with all separate forums not pertaining to Civ, and integrate them.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Is it working better now than before the sports debate got separated?
            Yes, makes our fantasy drafts easier

Comment

Oh, I didn't realise that. I suppose it's all right then.

Comment

It was made easier by moving it to a different area over temporarily Topping it.

Comment

it would have been nice if the mods did top our draft threads, no extra forum needed.

Comment

Or you could put in a little more effort to locate them. Perhaps even *gasp* bookmark them.

What has fantasy threads got to do with sports anyway? I've wondered about that on occasion.

Comment

It clears all that sports related spam out of the OT.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

the whole point of the OT is that topics are varied. separating it so that "everything goes" except tech, sports, history is just retarded.

Comment

Yes of course, that's a given.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

What BS. Rugby and Cricket threads are doing quite nicely. Specific threads, like on the 100m or tennis would fall far more quickly in the general OT than on a sports forum. If people are interested in those events, they know to look in the sports forum.

Btw, the World Football Thread is probably getting more posts quicker nowadays than it ever did in the OT... when I had to more than once dig it up from the 3rd or 4th or 5th page.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The main disappointment with it is that the snobs who post there won't discuss northern union .
                              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                              X