Spanish translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnabas
    Latin America was colonized mainly from Seville and Cadiz, that is why we dont pronounce the "th" sound
    That makes sense. However it is odd that in other places of Andalusia or Extremadura the opossed phenomenon is common also (at some places even more common, as in Cadiz). I mean pronouncing a strong /th/ not only with -z- or -ci- -ce-, but also instead of -s-, known as "ceceo". I wonder if there is any ceceo in any American country.
    Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Originally posted by The Vagabond
      Yet there appears to be an inconsistency. Look at the original quote from LordShiva:

Para poder continuar navegando NightClubber, deberás primero completar un par de datos faltantes de tu perfil de Usuario.
      Para completarlos lo único que debés hacer es dirigirte a tu perfil y editar los datos en blanco. (hacé click en el link para actualizar tus datos)
      Recordá que es muy importante que completes estos datos faltantes, asi podrás seguir navegando NightClubber sin restricciones y empezar a participar de sorteos automáticos entre todos los miembros con su perfil actualizado.

Si tenés problemas para completar tus datos, por favor lee la sección de ayuda haciendo click aca.

¡Muchas gracias!

So it looks like they use "tu". Yet the verb forms are for "vos". [For the future tense, the verb forms for "tu" and "vos" apparently coincide.]

Also, they write "completes", which is the subjunctive for "tu". For "vos" it should have been "completés" (with an accent).

Besides, "lee" (tu)->"leé" (vos).
      It seems that the author of the text is not precisely Borges, so i would not care too much about where he places his accents and such.

Comment

It seems that the author of the text is from a country where they use both "tu" and "vos".
        Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

By the way, it is "tú", not "tu".

Comment

Originally posted by The Vagabond
            It seems that the author of the text is from a country where they use both "tu" and "vos".
            Errr... yes, it is called Argentina, as has been already stated.

Comment

It is not wrong, the subjunctive is conjugated like with tú

Argentines say

Ni lo pienses! not, ni lo pensés!

Something else which is conjugated as with tú is

tu escuchaste / vos escuchaste/comiste/hiciste

not escuchastes / comistes which would be what would make sense since

vosotros escuchasteis without the i is escuchastes
              I need a foot massage

Comment

Muchas gracias una vez más, Barnabas.

Vos me lo explicaste bien.
                Last edited by The Vagabond; August 28, 2007, 18:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorgal

That makes sense. However it is odd that in other places of Andalusia or Extremadura the opossed phenomenon is common also (at some places even more common, as in Cadiz). I mean pronouncing a strong /th/ not only with -z- or -ci- -ce-, but also instead of -s-, known as "ceceo". I wonder if there is any ceceo in any American country.
                  Según Wikipedia lo hay en algunos lugares de América, pero en rincones aislados.

"The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                  "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Te salió perfecta la oración
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

Oops. It seems I fell into a habit.
                      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

What did the nun think about that event?
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                        X