Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venezuelian Aggressor Only Changes 10% Of The Constitution!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious

Can you imagine a different president all 4 terms, each with a different plan?
    Sure.

FDR took office in 1933. Why is it crazy to think of a different Pres in 1937? Or FDR for 2 terms, with a new guy taking over in 1941?

The charges against FDR as a power-monger were not entirely false, you know. See "court packing scheme" for one thing.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Can you imagine a different president all 4 terms, each with a different plan?
      So why shouldn't that apply to Venezuala's mayors, etc as well?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

People said those things about FDR you know.
        FDR only tried to pack the court because they weren't letting him do whatever he wanted. I can't imagine why people would be afraid of FDR's grabbing for power.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That's what you can say in 1998, not now though. It's 2007 and time is already telling.
          No. We are discussing Chavez's plan to remove term limits to allow himself to stay in power. That's talking about the future. I am predicting that the future will not go well. Only time will tell on that. 1998-2007 is the past. And as LS points out, not everyone agrees Chavez is doing a great job.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Its Schaefer, you fools, Schaefer!

The one beer to have, when youre having more than one!

Oh, for the days when Tee Vee ads acknowledged that folks wanted to keep drinking even when they werent thirsty anymore. I was too young to get what that was about.

And you call yourselves Yankee fans!
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

From wiki:

The Constitutional Assembly drafted the 1999 Venezuelan Constitution, which included an increase in the presidential term from five to six years, a new presidential two-term limit, a new provision for presidential recall elections, renaming of the country to República Bolivariana de Venezuela, expanded presidential powers, conversion of the bicameral National Assembly into a unicameral legislature, merit-based appointments of judges, and creation of the Public Defender, an office authorized to regulate the activities of the presidency and the National Assembly
              So note that the 1999 changes already extended the length of the terms (to 6 years, as against the 4 year terms we use) and set a 2-term limit. Now he's looking to change that.

It's about power, dude.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Sure.

FDR took office in 1933. Why is it crazy to think of a different Pres in 1937? Or FDR for 2 terms, with a new guy taking over in 1941?

The charges against FDR as a power-monger were not entirely false, you know. See "court packing scheme" for one thing.

-Arrian
                2 reasons

1) Great Depression
                2) WWII
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

So why shouldn't that apply to Venezuala's mayors, etc as well?
                  Same reasoning applies

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

FDR only tried to pack the court because they weren't letting him do whatever he wanted. I can't imagine why people would be afraid of FDR's grabbing for power.
                    Only his political enemies made those claims.

Comment

Same reasoning applies
                      So why this?

"The removal of term limits for Chavez -- the heart of his proposal -- is to be accompanied by measures preventing elected governors and mayors from staying in power indefinitely, according to versions of the project leaked in recent weeks."

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

No. We are discussing Chavez's plan to remove term limits to allow himself to stay in power. That's talking about the future. I am predicting that the future will not go well. Only time will tell on that. 1998-2007 is the past. And as LS points out, not everyone agrees Chavez is doing a great job.

-Arrian
                        You can predict all you want. I'm pointing out that people predicted in 1998 that Venezuela would be a disaster right now. And they are wrong. I don't hold your predictions in high regard.

And let the numbers speak for themselves. So, people go around predicting things and saying all kinds of stuff. That shouldn't matter.

Comment

the present ven constitution will Chavez to stay till 2012, which would give him a longer time in office than FDR had. So can we leave FDR out of it? Do you think FDR should have stayed in office for 20 years?

Comment

You can predict all you want. I'm pointing out that people predicted in 1998 that Venezuela would be a disaster right now. And they are wrong. I don't hold your predictions in high regard.

And let the numbers speak for themselves. So, people go around predicting things and saying all kinds of stuff. That shouldn't matter.

now youre sounding like global warming denier.

Comment

Its Schaefer, you fools, Schaefer!

The one beer to have, when youre having more than one!

Oh, for the days when Tee Vee ads acknowledged that folks wanted to keep drinking even when they werent thirsty anymore. I was too young to get what that was about.

And you call yourselves Yankee fans!
                              I'm the Yankee fan. Imran is a Mets fan. I dunno if Kid cares about baseball.

I'm too young to get your cultural reference, sorry.

-Arrian

Comment

now youre sounding like global warming denier.
                                ?????

Comment

Working...
                                X