No announcement yet.

RIP Anthony H. Wilson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering he was born in the same hospital, Hope Hospital in Salford, and attended a local grammar I don't understand your comment Dauphin.

Iain, we can admire the scene in retrospect Sure I remember you bouncing around to Step On!
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

The man was a one off he produced the highest selling 12 inch ever and it made a loss.

Brilliant
        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler
          He orchestrated the last major British music movement.
          This is an exaggeration. He undoubtedly played a significant and influential role in the Manchester scene and I can understand the esteem in which he is held by people in that area.

However, some of the claims going round, like the one above, are a bit extreme. He didn't even orchestrate the last major music happening from Manchester. While some would like to give him credit for Oasis in the current mood of beatification, I'm sure Noel Gallagher thinks otherwise.

Joy Division and New Order are over-rated anyway. Buzzcocks and Magazine were far better Manchester bands.

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler
            Iain, we can admire the scene in retrospect Sure I remember you bouncing around to Step On!
            Sometimes I think 5th Avenue is full of people who like to pretend they were around in 1990...
            Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

This is an exaggeration. He undoubtedly played a significant and influential role in the Manchester scene and I can understand the esteem in which he is held by people in that area.

However, some of the claims going round, like the one above, are a bit extreme. He didn't even orchestrate the last major music happening from Manchester. While some would like to give him credit for Oasis in the current mood of beatification, I'm sure Noel Gallagher thinks otherwise.

Joy Division and New Order are over-rated anyway. Buzzcocks and Magazine were far better Manchester bands.
              As Oasis were about as original as my arse I'm not sure they were associated with Factory records et al
              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

No, Oasis weren't conected with Factory. My point was that things have actually happened to British music since Factory and 'Madchester'.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                  And lest we forget The Smiths, a band he completely overlooked...doh!
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I won't start on my anti-Morrissey rant. However tempting it may be.

Comment

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Johnny Marr was good. In the wrong band, though. What I have to explain to people is that in my case Morrissey became a major problem for me because he was so influential in the development of a long-standing colleague in many bands. He was always trying to pull the music in one direction, I was wanting to pull it in another. We had enough common ground to still wanted to work together though, despite our different tastes. I expect we both thought that the end results justified the tension.

Comment

Working...
                        X