DVD recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD recommendations

So I've started to collect my DVDs again. At one point I sold most my movies but lately I've been getting into it again. Simply because I've had more money, so I can afford buying DVDs. Plus... I shopping @ play.com, they always have some great campagns and if it hits my genre or the things I like, it's time to use the credit card like there's no tomorrow.

So the issue with me is that since there's so many great movies, I'd rather buy the ones on DVD that I REALLY like and want to have. I'll give you an idea about my taste, the last movies I've bought are:

Survive Style 5+
    Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
    Oldboy
    Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
    Hard Boiled
    Happiness of Katakuris
    Battle Royale I & II
    Broken Flowers
    Alien Quadrology box (all Alien movies)
    Herzog/Kinski box (movies they've done together)
    La Haine

------------------

These I've ordered within the last month. So you'll get the idea, I like some Korean movies, some Japanese movies... I'm definitely looking to get some more Asian cinema(!!!). Aliens is classic and I like some French cinema as well, I will complete La Haine with Irreversible and Dobermann, so that's the ultimate Cassel trio for me. So I'll continue with DVDs I'm going to get anyway, and based on this info I'd like you to give me recommendations for more stuff. Basically because I like to buy these when they become available on some campagns so I can get good deals (I don't have THAT much money).

French Stuff:
    Irreversible
    Dobermann
    Nikita

Japanese Stuff:
    All Takashi Miike movies basically, Miike is one of my favourites!
    Zatoichi
    Samurai Fiction
    Kagemusha
    Yojimbo
    Seven Samurai (so some Kurosawa flicks obviously)
    Infernal Affairs I, II & III
    * here's where I need lots of suggestions. Also more Korean movies! (The Host excluded, I didn't like it).

Some classic comedy:
    Charlie Chaplin movies.
    Laurel and Hardy movies/shorts.
    Buster Keaton movies/shorts.
    Harold Lloyd stuff.
    Peter Sellers stuff.

Misc:
    Jodorowsky movies (at least El Topo and Holy Mountain)
    Few Kubrick movies.

Ok so these are all in my list already.

So this is my taste. Some classics when it comes to comedy, Asian cinema and basically Tartan kind of taste . The way that helps me the most is if you can recommend me a director. But movies, actors, everything will help.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

DVDs are obsolete.

Also,
    Gladiator
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Check out this thread for some suggestions:

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

0 hits after two pages... Hot Fuzz was OK but not something I'd buy as a DVD. Grindhouse might be one though.

Not just generic recommendations, that's why I gave a clue of my taste .

But thanks anyway, reminded me to see Grindhouse.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I just got a bargain on three DVD's at my local store. For 100 DKr. (app. $17) I got The Shawshank Redemption + Gandhi + Lawrence of Arabia.

I can highly recommend all three of them

Asmodean
          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Did you see Ichi the Killer (the movie)?
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Absolutely. It's in the "takashi miike"-movies list. About to get it. That's the kind of movie I'll have to have If I hadn't known about it and you'd just recommend it to me the first time, I'd have to make out with you for giving that jewel.
              In da butt.

Comment

Huh?

Comment

Working...
                X