Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple brings back the PC jr keyboard to life (or the new iMac thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple brings back the PC jr keyboard to life (or the new iMac thread)

Not bad for average consumers, with beefed up specs.

* $1,199
    * 20-inch, 1680 x 1050 LCD
    * 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 1GB RAM
    * 250GB SATA
    * 8x SuperDrive
    * 128MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT

* $1,499
    * 20-inch, 1680 x 1050 LCD
    * 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 1GB RAM
    * 320GB SATA
    * 8x SuperDrive
    * 256MB ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

* $1,799
    * 24-inch, 1900 x 1200 LCD
    * 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 1GB RAM
    * 320GB SATA
    * 8x SuperDrive
    * 256MB ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Is the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro any good?

But the keyboard is absolutely dreadful. It looks OK, but typing stuff on it will not be a pleasant experience.

Last edited by Nostromo; August 8, 2007, 12:45.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

But the keyboard is absolutely dreadful. It looks OK, but typing stuff on it will not be a pleasant experience.
    It's the same as the MacBook keyboard, which is actually quite nice to type on.

And it remedies a problem with the old Apple Pro keyboard, which was too thick and required a wrist wrest to use comfortably for any length of time.

But if you don't like it, you can buy a mac compatible USB keyboard for next to nothing. I hear that a small Washington company with the preposterous name of "Microsoft" makes some good ones at reasonable prices.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Here's a pic I took of the spreadsheet app.

It's not really an Excel replacement. It doesn't do some things that Excel does, but it does other things (primarily formatting and presentation) much much better.
      Attached Files
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

wired keyboard/mouse
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
          wired keyboard/mouse
          ?

It comes in both wired and wireless versions.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

It's the same as the MacBook keyboard, which is actually quite nice to type on.

And it remedies a problem with the old Apple Pro keyboard, which was too thick and required a wrist wrest to use comfortably for any length of time.

But if you don't like it, you can buy a mac compatible USB keyboard for next to nothing. I hear that a small Washington company with the preposterous name of "Microsoft" makes some good ones at reasonable prices.
            Due to size issues, you obviously have to compromize when designing laptop keyboards. That's why they're never great. The only laptop keyboards I really enjoy typing on are the ones on Thinkpads. They have amazing keyboards. The MacBook keyboards are nothing special, IMO. And the new iBook keyboards are awful.

That said, I don't see the point in putting a laptop keyboard on a desktop PC. No surprise here: Apple are not exactly known for the excellence of their keyboard an mice design.

I have a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard and its great. It has a nice, solid feel.
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
              It comes in both wired and wireless versions.
              all the images on the imac pages are with the wired...

wireless should be default

Comment

wired keyboard/mouse
                I hate wireless keyboards and mice. They're a pain in the ass.

Comment

all the images on the imac pages are with the wired...

wireless should be default
                  I don't know. The Apple Bluetooth keyboard is great. The Bluetooth mouse, less so.

You'd be better off buying a wireless mouse from Kensington or someone else (anyone except Logitech, who install scumware on your machine without telling you).
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

The new wireless keyboard doesn't have a numeric keypad

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                      Due to size issues, you obviously have to compromize when designing laptop keyboards. That's why they're never great. The only laptop keyboards I really enjoy typing on are the ones on Thinkpads. They have amazing keyboards. The MacBook keyboards are nothing special, IMO. And the new iBook keyboards are awful.
                      the macbook pro keyboard is fine

Comment

I hate wireless keyboards and mice. They're a pain in the ass.
                        "regular" wireless
                        bluetooth

Comment

The new wireless keyboard hasn't a numeric keypad
                          amazingly true

Comment

The new wireless keyboard doesn't have a numeric keypad
                            That's why I'm thinking of buying one. The only time I ever used it was when I had a World of Warcraft toolbar keymapped to it, and I no longer play that game.

I wish they would go back to the original mac style keyboard. No function keys, and a power switch. It irks me that I can no longer power on my computer from the keyboard.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Isns't that just a bios setting?

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                              X