No announcement yet.

What was the greatest MBT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Char B & Matilda were heavily armored, but their guns weren't so impressive.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

the matilda had a 2 pdr, it had to be point blank to do anything.

Its armour was thick enough to get that close though, unfortunately the British tactics in 1940 didn't include a mass attack of tanks which could have made things very different.

Of course they would have been sitting ducks for the Stukas then
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Yes, I think the only german gun able to pierce the thick hide of those tanks at greater distances from the beginning of the war on must´ve been the 8.8 Flak
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

AH, one on one I'm still a Panther guy. However the ease of production of the T-34 was its advantage. So, if one has to consider not one on one but swarms of T-34s for each Panther, that gives the T-34 the advantage. If not, I'll go with the Panther.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Panther is a ripoff of T-34 design, so T-34 wins, it seems.

Comment

the panther was a great tank
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Two tanks coming at each other on the Russian Steppe. One, a T-34, the other a Panther.

If I ask which is better, well blah blah. If I ask which would you choose to be in to win the fight and survive the day?

For me, it's got to be the Panther.

However the next day my Panther runs head on into 50 T-34s and I vow next time to be born an eskimo. Yup, just hunt seals and screw, screw and hunt seals.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                  Panther is a ripoff of T-34 design, so T-34 wins, it seems.
                  I see your T-34 rip off and raise you the IR Panther.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

Eh, one on one, better German tactics asside, it was hoplessly outclassed by the Char B and Matilda in 40, and it never equaled a T-34/76 even in its most advanced forms as the Germans themselves recognized (this can actually be said about the PzIV too).
                    Not so. The Char B had a lot of faults, it was big and slow, and the Matilda was comprehensivey defeated in the desert by a force predominantly of panzer III.

With the T34, it was around in strength in 42 but the III held its own. The tank was upgunned and armoured. The T34 was the superior tank though, I agree.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

However the next day my Panther runs head on into 50 T-34s and I vow next time to be born an eskimo. Yup, just hunt seals and screw, screw and hunt seals.
                      Actually, I bet the numbers still work out in favor of the Panther historically.
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I didn't say I lost the battle against 50 T-34s, I just said I resolved next time to be born an eskimo.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                          ...and mine for gold...and strike oil.

Comment

Diamonds
                            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Not so. The Char B had a lot of faults, it was big and slow, and the Matilda was comprehensivey defeated in the desert by a force predominantly of panzer III.
                              Actually wasn't it more the AT guns that beat Matildas? Germans would drive up in tanks, show themselves to the Brits, then run away. Brits would chase, run right into the waiting ATG ambush. 88s & flank shots from lesser guns would decimate the Brit tanks.
                              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

"...and mine for gold...and strike oil."

"Diamonds"

The demands of you capitalists are really cutting into my screwing time.

Comment

Working...
                                X