No announcement yet.

Democratic Congress Legislates Away 1st Amendment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Er, how does that contradict, or even add to what I said?

Comment

Yep, you recall incorrectly. The law allows surveillance of any communication that Gonzo "reasonably believes" involves "foreign intelligence." Which is why the kucis of the world should read a paper before whining about people like me.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
        Yep, you recall incorrectly. The law allows surveillance of any communication that Gonzo "reasonably believes" involves "foreign intelligence." Which is why the kucis of the world should read a paper before whining about people like me.
        That's funny, you haven't contradicted me, unless your disputing my quote FTA...

(And wow, you're prickly. Defensive, even?)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          Er, how does that contradict, or even add to what I said?
          Because you said it was about two people on foreign soil that passes through the US. Not so. The real problem was surveillance of communications between one person on foreign soil and a US citizen in the USA without a warrant.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            Because you said it was about two people on foreign soil that passes through the US.

Reread my post a few dozen times until it all sinks in, IS.

Comment

here's a hint, Ramo and IS:

i.e. the law was marketed as fixing that problem (which is a problem, and obviously acceptable), but some people claim it does more than that.

Now, I'm not going to read the whole law (I don't care nearly enough), and I don't especially trust either side to tell me what it actually says without major spin, but the article in the OP does support my assertion that the bill was supposed to fix the difficulty of wiretapping entirely foreign conversations that pass through the US.

Comment

Reread my post a few dozen times until it all sinks in, IS.

Anyway, IIRC this is about our ability to tap conversations between two people on foreign soil which happen to pass through the US. Which is obviously something we should be doing. So Ramos of the world, quit whining
                Wanna try again?
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

here's a hint, Ramo and IS:

i.e. the law was marketed as fixing that problem (which is a problem, and obviously acceptable), but some people claim it does more than that.
                  There is no "some people claim", that's actually what the law does!

Comment

Wanna try again?
                    I think you need a few dozen more times, sorry.

Comment

I have no idea what your original post is supposed to mean then. No one disagreed with updating FISA to accommodate changes in technology wrt foreign communications. There was alternative Dem legislation to that effect that was abandoned due to a veto threat.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

There is no "some people claim", that's actually what the law does
                        Doesn't your brain hurt when you write one thing which directly contradicts what you wrote just before?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                          I have no idea what your original post is supposed to mean then. No one disagreed with updating FISA. There was alternative Dem legislation to that effect that was abandoned due to a veto threat.
                          He's trying to be uber-ridiculous and say that since the law's main goal was about foreign to foreign communications that pass through US switchboards, we shouldn't complain about the changes that have been created in the warrant approval process for surveillance of any communications that involve a foreign target.

Comment

Working...
                          X