Victory? Please define

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victory? Please define

So, this is for all the people who support the war in Iraq.

Can any of you define victory, and how you would be able to show that victory was achieved.

Cause I think all of us who question this war are still waiting to know what exactly you think will be achieved.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

What about a Iraq with democratic government ?

If they have to do a civil war to settle a such, well, so be it - other countries has been through the same process. In the iraqui case, the process has actually been hurried due to the destroying of Saddams regime.

Other countries must just wait and suffer because the international community doesn't dare/has sufficient interests to move.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I don't see how you can define victory. You can maybe define some of its qualities, but it is a nebulous concept in the current context.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Well, I guess that GePap is a survivalist that prefers to live silently - maybe occationally squealing on a neighbour to show a good faith instead of resistance. That is what you do in a strong dictatorship as Iraq was as long as there wasn't other forces doing something.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I seem to remember Bush making a public statement about how the war was won so what is is thread about???
          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
          And notifying the next of kin
          Once again...

Comment

Well, somehow I think that GePap doesn't agree with Bush's policy, so he may have some doubts about that statement.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
              What about a Iraq with democratic government ?
              Looks like we're done then. They already have one.
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator

Looks like we're done then. They already have one.
                Yeah, you are right, though it could be desirable that it got a bit more control over the situation

Steven Weinberg

Comment

- A democratic government which can boast of long-term political stability and the inclusion of all major ethnic factions in the political process.

- An end to violence caused by terrorists, insurgents, and the Coalition.

the last point is often overlooked:

- Economic stability, recovery of infrastructure loss and the ability of the country to finance its own long-term growth.

As you can see, "victory" in Iraq will not be a military one, it will be much more complex than that. As it stands, and contrary to the "good news" that the right wingers like to make everybody think, militarily it is far from being won. Just the casualty statistics speak for themselves: the Insurgency has a virtual 1:1 kill ratio with the Coalition (including Iraqi military and police forces) and monthly civilian casualties are nothing to gloat about.

And the latest frictions with the Sunni bloc are of course, not exactly the best news one could hope for regarding political unity.
                  A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

You are quite rigth MZ - the right wing is a bunch of wimpies that doesn't have the gut to use the nessecary brutal force to get control such as leftwingers several times has proven they have
                    Last edited by BlackCat; August 4, 2007, 21:38.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
                      I seem to remember Bush making a public statement about how the war was won so what is is thread about???
                      "Victory is not no violence" ... George W. Bush

Comment

Victory was to find and disable WMD, peacefully replace a brutal dictator, and return public funding to the infrastructure instead of to military expansion and palaces. At least they don't fund palaces anymore. Now victory would be a return to the relative safety most Iraqi citizens had under the brutal dictator. Whoops!
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Victory is when your enemies are laying in the dust in front of you, begging for mercy, kissing your feet.
                          Blah

Comment

Perhaps the question is victory for whom?

For President Bush I guess it would be something which allowed him to think that his decisions have been sensible ones.

Something to do with the incidence of international terrorism directed against the US, perhaps. Rather difficult to imagine exactly what.

For the US generally I would have thought that getting your troops out might be enough. Although if Iraq then fragments, is invaded by Iran or descends into chaos for an extended period I don't know if simply getting your troops out will be enough to count as a victory.

For Iraq I should think that victory consists in someone appearing who is brutal enough or charismatic enough to bring stability about. I doubt it altogether matters whether the resultant regime is more or less repressive than Saddam Hussein's.

For Sunni chieftains it would be a Sunni dominated state, for Shi'a chieftains a Shi'a dominated state and for Kurds perhaps a Kurdish state.

For some of Iraq's neighbours (Kuwait and Iran, for example) a kind of victory has already been won in that it will be a long time before they are again threatened by Iraq. Perhaps further victory for them might be Iraq fragmenting. I don't know if they would have territorial ambitions.

Comment

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X