Dynastic Longevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynastic Longevity

This thread if for discussing dynasties, most especially those that have been especially short- or long-lived.

To get the ball rolling I'll start with one of each.

Long - The Habsburgs
    Celebrating 645 years of empire in central Europe. Rudolf von Hapsburg became Holy Roman Emperor in 1273, and his dynasty lasted until 1918, when its latest form (Austria-Hungary) became defunct under Karl. The current Hapsburg heir is Otto von Hapsburg (b. 1912), still called "Majesty" even though he is crownless.

Short - The Qin
    15 glorious years of Chinese imperial power! The great Qin (Ch'in) Shi Huang of Civ4 fame spent most of his life conquering the warring feudal states of China, ruling as its first emperor from 221-210 BC. His heir Qin Er Shi lasted until 206 BC, when the dynasty was overthrown. Short-lived dynasty, but a massive impact. Qin Shi Huang created the original Great Wall, and "China" still bears the name of Qin today.

The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

The moral of that story appears to be "don't hang around too long".
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Short - The Bokassan Dynasty

Ah, the storied history of the Central African Empire. Wait, the what? Oh, surely you've heard of the Central African Emperors... well, Emperor. Jean-Bedel Bokassa proclaimed himself Emperor, proceeded to blow a third of the government's annual budget on the coronation ceremony - which world leaders, though invited, failed to attend for some odd reason or another. Bokassa turned out to be the first and last emperor, ruling from 1976 to 1979 - after which the dynasty, and the Empire itself, was dissolved (by the French) in favor of the republic it briefly replaced.
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

The Holy Roman empire was disolved by Napoleon in the early 19th century, so actually the Hapsburg dynasty of Holy Roman Emporers can be said to have only lasted ~532 years even though they continued on as the emporers of Austria.
        How long did the Romanov dynasty last?
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

According to Wikipedia, the Romanovs ruled from 1613 to 1761, at which it was replaced by a Oldenburg line(Danish IIRC?). It still was called Romanov though, but it wasn't any longer that by the paternal line.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
            a Oldenburg line(Danish IIRC?).

German- though it also produced the Danish royal family and Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron
              Short - The Bokassan Dynasty

Ah, the storied history of the Central African Empire. Wait, the what? Oh, surely you've heard of the Central African Emperors... well, Emperor. Jean-Bedel Bokassa proclaimed himself Emperor, proceeded to blow a third of the government's annual budget on the coronation ceremony - which world leaders, though invited, failed to attend for some odd reason or another. Bokassa turned out to be the first and last emperor, ruling from 1976 to 1979 - after which the dynasty, and the Empire itself, was dissolved (by the French) in favor of the republic it briefly replaced.
              What a guy
              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
              X