RIP Tom Snyder & Ingmar Bergman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MOBIUS
    Which is the whole point of the movie...

BTW, R.I.P. Bill Walsh as well, if we can include him as well into the title (he's far more important than the other two IMO)...
    Bill Walsh and Tom Snyder both losing their battles against Luekemia.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

What, that he's a complete egotistical scumwad? I assume you're a big fan, then.
      Can we leave the jibes and insults out of a thread in memory of three greats of the 20th century...
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

[q=BBC]
        Blow-Up director Antonioni dies
        Michelangelo Antonioni
        Michelangelo Antonioni was one of Italy's most acclaimed directors
        Italian film director Michelangelo Antonioni, renowned for his 1966 release Blow-Up, has died aged 94.

He gained two Oscar nominations for the iconic release, and was awarded an honorary Academy Award for his life's work in 1995.

He was also nominated for the top prize at the Cannes Film Festival, the Palme d'Or, five times between 1960 and 1982.

The director died peacefully at home on Monday night, his wife, actress Enrica Fico, told La Repubblica newspaper.

Richard Mowe, a film writer and co-director of the Italian Film Festival UK, said Antonioni made productions "that were out of the conventional modes of expression".

It's the last link with the great days of European art cinema
        Geoffrey Nowell-Smith
        Antonioni author
        "He invented his own language of cinema - that's what made him very, very inventive," he said. "He didn't owe anything to anybody else. He was a total original."

Geoffrey Nowell-Smith, the author of a book on Antonioni's film L'Avventura (The Adventure), described his works as being productions that "invite you to concentrate on them, like great music".

"It's extraordinary that he should die within a day of Ingmar Bergman - that's two greats in two days," said Mr Nowell-Smith, who also curated a season of his work at London's BFI Southbank.

Michelangelo Antonioni with his wife Enrica Fico in 2002
        Antonioni was married to Enrica Fico
        "It's the last link with the great days of European art cinema."

Film critic Kim Newman paid tribute to the director, calling him an "important and fascinating film-maker".

Newman said Antonioni's best films were all concerned with "how awful Italian post-war society is, and how trivial and superficial everybody has become".

"But the films are so beautiful and the people in them are so gorgeous, you can't but feel, well, it would be really great to be alienated, lovelorn and miserable like that."

Fans will be able to pay their respects when Antonioni's body lies in state in the Sala della Protomoteca at Rome's city hall, the Campidoglio, on Wednesday morning.

The funeral will then take place in the director's home town of Ferrara, north-eastern Italy, on Thursday.

Antonioni was born in Ferrara in 1912 and released his debut feature, Story of A Love Affair, at the age of 38.

Vanessa Redgrave and David Hemmings in Blow-Up
        Blow-Up starred Vanessa Redgrave and David Hemmings
        But he did not achieve international recognition until the mystery L'Avventura 10 years later in 1960.

In 1966, he signed a deal to make a trilogy of films for the English market with legendary Italian film producer Carlo Ponti.

The first was Blow-Up, in which a photographer appears to have uncovered a murder in his photos.

Shot in London, and starring David Hemmings and Vanessa Redgrave, it was his biggest international hit.

Antonioni captured the "flower power" era in 1970, filming Zabriskie Point in California, while Hollywood actor Jack Nicholson starred as a journalist in 1974 in Professione: Reporter (The Passenger).

In 1985, the director suffered a stroke that left him partially paralysed, but he continued to work behind the camera. "Filming for me is living," he said.

His last cinematic release was 2004's The Dangerous Thread of Things, one part of a trilogy of short films released under the title Eros.[/q]

Don't famous deaths come in threes?
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
        X