No announcement yet.

iPhone to Destroy Apple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing is that the thing lacks a keyboard.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I have heard nothing but good things about the touch keyboard.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I thought I'd jump in here and own DaShi, and all the other anti-Apple trash on this forum.

Apple sold 270,000 iPhones from 6pm Friday to midnight Saturday. Conservatively, that means they sold about 350,000 in the first weekend and possibly as many as 400,000. AT&T couldn't handle all the activation requests, which is why there were only 140,000 activations. That's towards the high end of estimates (excluding the lone nut who thought they would sell 700K). AT&T alone sold more iPhones in one weekend than any other wireless device had sold in a whole month.

Your article is wrong DaShi. Analysts had claimed between 200K-500K for the weekend.

They estimate that they will pass the million mark by the end of the quarter. That's one quarter. It took seven quarters to sell the first million iPods.

Add to that the fact that they were just shy of 10 million iPods for the quarter (3 years ago it wasn't even a million) and are closing in on 2 million macs a quarter (double what they used to do).

And Apple is now the third largest music retailer in the US.

Later this year there will be a new version of OS X (to put Microsoft's embarrassing piece of **** to even more shame), probably new macs, and a new touch screen iPod.

Apple's market cap is just shy of twice Dell's and on this news will probably catch up and surpass Hewlett Packard by the end of the year, if not Intel. If the iPhone does anywhere near as well as the iPod, then Apple may pass IBM (and possibly Google, depending on what happens) in market value sometime next year.

Frankly, it's a juggernaut, and represents the hard work that has been put into the company since Jobs came back.

Not bad. It's a shame that ****up companies like Dell don't understand the modern electronics industry.

Well... not really. You have to laugh.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

They did?

And when did the massive drop in sales/activations happen with the iPod?
          It didn't happen with the iPhone either.

You are all so lame.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

I don't like to defend Apple, but the stock analysts really shot themselves in the foot with this one. They continually upped the ante on each other, and now they're disappointed?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
              I thought I'd jump in here and own DaShi, and all the other anti-Apple trash on this forum.

Apple sold 270,000 iPhones from 6pm Friday to midnight Saturday. Conservatively, that means they sold about 350,000 in the first weekend and possibly as many as 400,000. AT&T couldn't handle all the activation requests, which is why there were only 140,000 activations. That's towards the high end of estimates (excluding the lone nut who thought they would sell 700K). AT&T alone sold more iPhones in one weekend than any other wireless device had sold in a whole month.

Your article is wrong DaShi. Analysts had claimed between 200K-500K for the weekend.

They estimate that they will pass the million mark by the end of the quarter. That's one quarter. It took seven quarters to sell the first million iPods.

Add to that the fact that they were just shy of 10 million iPods for the quarter (3 years ago it wasn't even a million) and are closing in on 2 million macs a quarter (double what they used to do).

And Apple is now the third largest music retailer in the US.

Later this year there will be a new version of OS X (to put Microsoft's embarrassing piece of **** to even more shame), probably new macs, and a new touch screen iPod.

Apple's market cap is just shy of twice Dell's and on this news will probably catch up and surpass Hewlett Packard by the end of the year, if not Intel. If the iPhone does anywhere near as well as the iPod, then Apple may pass IBM (and possibly Google, depending on what happens) in market value sometime next year.

Frankly, it's a juggernaut, and represents the hard work that has been put into the company since Jobs came back.

Not bad. It's a shame that ****up companies like Dell don't understand the modern electronics industry.

Well... not really. You have to laugh.
              Heck, I don't know. I just miss Asher.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Apart from the slur against vista, most of that is accurate I suppose. All asher could really do is compare it to MS's income.

This thread does feel like it's missing something though..

Comment

Sounds like a company on the brink of destruction!

From the WSJ...

Apple Earnings Surge 73%
                  On Strong iPod, Mac Sales
                  By NICK WINGFIELD
                  July 25, 2007 6:45 p.m.

Apple Inc.'s iPhone has been a magnet for hype. But the company's iPods and Macintosh computers turned out to be the stars of the quarter.

The Cupertino, Calif., company said record sales of iPods and Macs helped the company post a 73% increase in fiscal third-quarter earnings and a 24% rise in revenue. The company also said it sold 270,000 iPhones in the period and reiterated its goal of selling 10 million of the cellular phones by the end of next year.
                  [Steve Jobs]

The results sent Apple's shares up, rising nearly 9% to $149.25 in after-hours trading, up from $137.26 at the 4 p.m. close.

The Apple product that was most closely watched by investors -- the iPhone -- was the one that mattered least to the company's business during the quarter. The iPhone went on sale on the evening of June 29, just 30 hours ahead of the close of the quarter, but investors were hoping Apple still would have blow-out sales of the product, even during that brief period. Big success in cellphones could open Apple up to big growth opportunity in a huge new market for it.

Instead, iPhone sales fell short of Wall Street's bullish best guesses for the device, which ranged as high as 700,000 units. But the product sold better than some analysts had expected after Apple's wireless partner in the U.S., AT&T Corp., on Tuesday said only 146,000 subscribers had signed up with the carrier because of the iPhone in the first two days of its launch.

"Relative to yesterday's announcement from AT&T, I think there was a little bit of relief from investors that units sold were significantly higher," said Toni Sacconaghi, an analyst at Bernstein Research.

On Wednesday, Apple said it expects to sell one million iPhones by the end of the current period ending in September, the product's first full quarter on the market. In a nod to the outsized iPhone forecasts from analysts, Apple said it took seven quarters from the launch of the iPod for it to sell one million of the digital music players.

"It won't be easy to build a third great business because our competitors are large and entrenched, and it will not be done over night," said Tim Cook, Apple's chief operating officer. "Our perspective is measured in years, not months, but the rewards, we believe, are huge for Apple."

Apple said it recognized $5 million in revenue from the iPhone and related products for the quarter. For the iPhone business, the company is employing subscription accounting, in which it recognizes revenue over a period of 24 months from the time of sale of a device. Apple said it intends to announce partnerships later in the quarter to bring the iPhone to the European market.

The iPhone didn't dim the success of Apple's iPod business, though some analysts have speculated the cellphone, which contains similar entertainment functions, could ultimately grab sales from the older product line. Apple said it sold 9.8 million iPods in the quarter, for $1.57 billion in sales, up from 8.1 million iPods, or $1.50 billion, in the same period a year ago.

Apple's Macintosh computer business performed even better. The company sold more than 1.8 million Macs, for $2.53 billion in sales, up from 1.33 million Macs, or $1.87 billion in sales, during the same period the prior year. Apple executives said the 33% unit growth in the Mac business was 2 1/2 times the world-wide unit growth rate of personal computers.

Favorable pricing for memory chips, a significant component of the cost of computers, also greatly enhanced Apple's profitability in the quarter. The company said its gross margin was 36.9%, up from 30.3% in the year earlier period.

"The earning powers of the company continue to be extraordinary," said Mr. Sacconaghi.

For the current quarter, Apple said it expects to report revenue of $5.7 billion and earnings per share of 65 cents.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

If every electronics company was making overpriced hipster garbage...
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

Why?

So we could have him make **** up, post quotes from sites run by the mentally ill, and engage in personal attacks?

After all, he's been consistently wrong in all his predictions about Apple for years now (and Nintendo, truth be told).
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

All I know is that Apple's demise has been "foretold" for years........
                        I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

QFT
                          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
                            All I know is that Apple's demise has been "foretold" for years........
                            Yeah, check out the Apple Death Knell Counter.

They are doing pretty well. The phone should carry them along for a few years, and their competitors are sleepwalking.

Must be pretty good for those people who bought the stock a few years back when it was $4 a share.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Yeah, check out the Apple Death Knell Counter.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Why?

So we could have him make **** up, post quotes from sites run by the mentally ill, and engage in personal attacks?

After all, he's been consistently wrong in all his predictions about Apple for years now (and Nintendo, truth be told).
                                And this is not a personal attack how?

Ming, Ming! Aggie is discussing the poster!

Ban him, ban him I say!
                                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                                X