Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone to Destroy Apple

Apple whacked by iPhone worries
    One day before the company is due to report earnings, its shares slide after AT&T says fewer iPhones than expected were activated in the second quarter.

By Elizabeth Strott
    High expectations can produce big disappointments.

That's what happened to Apple (AAPL, news, msgs) today, after AT&T (T, news, msgs) reported that only 146,000 iPhones were activated in the second quarter.

The news pushed Apple shares down $8.11, or 6.1%, today to $134.89. One analyst called the news a "reality check" for Apple. The stock was up 0.8% to $135.90 in after-hours trading.

Apple's slump was one reason why the stock market tanked today. The Dow Jones industrials closed down more than 226 points on the day, their worst one-day point loss since March. The Nasdaq Composite Index was down nearly 51 points to 2,640.

The Nasdaq-100 Index ($NDX.X.), which includes the biggest Nasdaq-listed shares, was down nearly 36 points, or 1.8%, to 2,000.55. Apple's loss cost the index 12.6 points, or more than a third the day's loss.

Apple was also the eighth-largest percentage loser among stocks in the Standard & Poor's 500 Index. The index was down 30.5 points to 1,511.04.

Apple watchers should get more clarity on iPhone action once the company reports its fiscal-third-quarter results Wednesday after the market close.

The iPhone was introduced June 29, leaving only two days in the second quarter, and in Apple's fiscal third quarter, for the iPhone to take off. But analysts had forecast between 200,000 and 500,000 activations in those two days.

Pacific Crest analyst Andy Hargreaves said the activation number was low. "It doesn't mean it's a failure, but it's making investors stop and re-evaluate some of the numbers," he said today.

"The reaction is pretty appropriate. Expectations certainly were for a lot more than 150,000 units. Even though it's just two-day sales, it's a reality check," Hargreaves added.

There is still some margin for error due to Web sales and resales over the Internet, Hargreaves said, but the 146,000 is a good proxy for determining total sales of the iPhone.

Another analyst agreed, although he cautioned that the shares, and iPhone sales, had room to recover.

"For the data that came out, Apple's stock drop is probably the right reaction," Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said. "But if you look at where the stock can go over the next year, there is still a significant move up."

Demand dwindling?
    Other observers think iPhone sales aren't as hot as everyone had hoped.

"Based on our store checks, we believe that demand for the iPhone has seen a significant decline in the past 10 days," CIBC World Markets analyst Ittai Kidron wrote in a note to clients today. "We have noticed decent inventories at stores, and thin demand at best."Among the stores we visited, most visitors were not looking at the device, and only a very small subset bought it," Kidron wrote.

But Munster cautioned that iPhone sales seemed to be following a pattern set by the introduction of the iPod. "We saw this with the iPod a few years ago," he said. "It takes a few years to take off."

Apple's earnings could be sweet
    Although official numbers will likely come in Apple's earnings report, an estimated 500,000 iPhones were sold over the first weekend it hit shelves. At $499 to $599 a pop, that's $249.5 million to $299.5 million, some pretty tasty fruit.

The iPhone will be a massive financial impact on Apple in 2009, Munster said. "You just have to manage the reality of these things," he explained.

Wall Street is looking for earnings of 72 cents per share on revenue of $5.29 billion. In the fiscal third quarter of 2006, Apple earned 54 cents per share on $4.37 billion in sales.

AT&T's earnings shine
    AT&T, meanwhile, saw second-quarter net income jump 61% to $2.9 billion, or 47 cents per share, from $1.81 billion, or 46 cents per share, a year ago.

AT&T benefited from the purchase of BellSouth last year, which gave Ma Bell full control of the unit formerly called Cingular Wireless. AT&T Wireless has the exclusive rights to service Apple's iPhone.

Excluding certain items, AT&T earned 70 cents per share, 3 cents ahead of analysts' estimates. The stock, however, did not escape the day's selling, falling 0.9% to $39.68 on the day. It was up slightly to $39.72 in after-hours trading.
    Looks like Asher was right.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Give it time.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

good. maybe now they will stop with all the stupid Quicktime and itunes updates every 3 days!

piece™
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
        Give it time.
        To flop?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

To flop?
          Like everyone said the iPod would?
          I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

To flop?
            QFT. Teh iPhone's flaws are too glaring for a $600 phone on a $80/month 2G plan.
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
              Like everyone said the iPod would?
              They did?

And when did the massive drop in sales/activations happen with the iPod?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Imran, I remember you yourself claiming the iPod would flop a few years ago. don't be coy.

Comment

This article and OP are too damn funny. Here's Apple's stock chart for the last year.
                  Attached Files
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                    Imran, I remember you yourself claiming the iPod would flop a few years ago. don't be coy.
                    I could ask you for proof... but I think that that may be asking too much .

Was it around the time when I bought my iPod?

Comment

I guess this means that we won't stop seeing those same few ads for the iPhone that seem to be pdlaye every five minutes on every channel.

Comment

I am looking for a new phone, actually. Will wait until my hosuing status id defined better.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

It's no wonder the iPhone flops. It's a phone which lacks all the usual standards in other phones these days, and still costs a fortune.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Just to list a few things iPhone lacks:'

1) MMS. Says it all, really.
                            2) No support for Word documents. Which means you can't open much of what you get in the mail.'
                            3) As far as I know, there is unclear how good the support of Exchange is. Exchange is widespread among businesses.
                            4) It lacks 3G! Granted, WiFi is in, but come one, no 3G?
                            5) No support for memory cards. Really, how retarded can they get?
                            6) No option to change battery when it goes flat or gets old. Really, really retarded.
                            7) It has no GPS, a feature that is said to become standard on most phones this year.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

...AND it granted an exclusive license to AT&T, which means no competition between carriers. If you want an iPhone, you get AT&T.

Comment

Working...
                              X