The obligatory Harry Potter 7 thread with spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369
    * snoopy369 goes off to find his trout...
    Okay...

Wait a sec...

:hurl: Did you 'really' mean this?

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Likely not... but if so...

“...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

/me found his trout

/me slaps MJW with a trout
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

* snoopy369 found his trout

* snoopy369 slaps MJW with a trout
        Stop raping me!

“...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

You really don't get out much, do you.

Comment

You really don't get out much, do you.
            I have severe allergies so I cannot go to the great outdoors without suffering. But by shots are changing that.

Comment

[q="MJW"]by shots[/q]

Sounds like you still have some then. Claritin does wonders for them, really.

Comment

[q="MJW"]by shots[/q]

Sounds like you still have some then. Claritin does wonders for them, really.
                Okay, I'll see if I can take it. But now it's time to sleep.

Comment

I have here, translated directly from the book, then end of HP7.

Spoiler:
                  Gasping for breath, Harry struggled to his hands and knees. It was useless, he knew -- Voldemort was standing over him, glaring balefully down at him through those red slits of eyes -- but his wand was in the corner -- and if he could reach it --

Muscles still twitching, Harry dragged himself forward. Voldemort smiled. "Still struggling, Harry?" he asked silkily. The scar on his forehead might well have been lightning, striking over and over again. "Crucio!"

Pain -- again -- consuming him -- Harry tried to scream, but the pain siezed his throat. He flipped on his back, writhing -- the pain wouldn't go away -- he arched his back -- and it was gone suddenly.

He was looking up at Voldemort's despicably grinning face. The thin lips contorted for a second, then smiled. "Harry Potter. Good-bye." But Harry wasn't listening -- through the haze, he was fascinated by a dot -- a brighter red than Voldemort's dull eyes -- hovering between them.

The Dark Lord raised his wand, shrieked triumphantly, "Avada Kedav--"

-- and his head exploded in a puff of red mist.

For a second, his headless body, spurting black blood, stood there, then toppled slowly over. The Death Eaters stood there, paralyzed. Then the door burst in -- an explosion rocked the room -- a flash that left Harry blind and deaf.

For a moment, Harry could see and hear nothing; all he could feel was the fading pains from the Cruciatus Curse running up and down his body, twitching muscles randomly. Then he was dimply aware of voices shouting, "Down! DOWN ON THE ****ING GROUND! GET DOWN!"

There was a bang -- a shriek from Bellatrix, he was sure -- and then an unfamiliar loud RAT-A-TAT-TAT. Then there was a face leaning over him, chiseled but kindly. "Are you all right?"

He couldn't talk, could only feebly nod. The face smiled. "Good. You're safe." Harry couldn't believe it, but before he could think, he sank down into the welcoming black of unconsciousness.
                  Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

So the SAS kills Voldemort and saves Harry Potter?
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Yes.
                      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I thought the book was good.

As said, a few more bits of ending wouldn't have gone amiss, and the epilogue was kinda weak.

Comment

Seconded about the ending. Also, the wandering through the wilderness bits lost narrative focus, and I feel Rowling only included them so the book could span an entire year.
                          "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

About the Elder Wand...

Presumably Dumbledore could only beat Grindelwald because Grindelwald stole it and couldn't unlock its power.

Does that make the original owner Gregorovitch... who was killed by Voldemort? Shouldn't the wand have chosen Voldemort as its master?

Comment

Presumably Dumbledore could only beat Grindelwald because Grindelwald stole it and couldn't unlock its power.

I thought it was just because DD was a better wizard, and enough better.

Comment

I just finished

I thought it was a really good book and really good finale . Among the books, I list it par with HBP, but just a smidgen behind PoA (which I consider the best book in series). The beginning of the book, after the wedding, was slow. Perhaps that was just a way of showing the reading how the 3 felt, sitting around, not knowing what to do next.

But after Ron rejoins the group, and they destroy the locket, the story REALLY picks up. A great dash to the end. Great touch to have Neville pick up the mantle as troublemaker and get the sword to cut off Nagini's head. And Snape's backstory revealed was wonderful (even though I knew he'd be on the side of good in the end).

I guess those who said Harry was a horcrux and had to die were right . But I never thought that he could come back to life... that was an interesting surprise.

For all the *****ing about the epilogue, I thought it was ok. Sure you could have guessed what happened, but that's not what Rowling wanted to do. It wanted to show that the main characters were ok and had lots of babies. If you want to know about the minor characters, I'm sure Rowling can get you to buy a HP encyclopedia some time in the future .

The Dealthly Hallows turned out to something completely unexpected, but very well done.

And I LOVE how throw away lines in the earlier books come back as huge plot points (the Gaunt bloodlines, etc)!

Farewell, Harry! We'll miss ya!
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X