Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would You Want to Accomplish As a National Leader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would You Want to Accomplish As a National Leader?

Do you remember, or remember studying anyway, when leaders of nations were known for their great achievements? Teddy had the Panama Canal, Woodrow had the League of Nations, FDR had the New Deal, Ike had the Interstate System, etc.

Our leaders don't have these things anymore, they just squabble over irrelevant crap over and over without every creating anything. If they do tackle something worthwhile it either descends into partisan hackery or worse forms some monstrous compromise so distorted it causes more problems than it solves.

So your a national leader (any nation), what are the three 3 major projects you would want to accomplish during your time in power? We will go with a 6 year term limit to accomplish them in, starting now.

In my case, for the USA, I will go with;

1.) Fast/efficient/environmentally friendly high speed rail network. In my term the goal would be to complete an initial phase of construction for California/Oregon/Washington, the Northeast Corridor, and maybe the Midwest.

2.) Cut the federal bureaucracy by half. Being a part of it, we are lazy, overpaid, and bloated. If we spent the same about of money on half the number of people to do the same amount work, but who actually did work, we would probably increase service ten fold. And of course with half the number of people and the same payroll you could pay for the people who could accomplish this.

3.) Refocus all American foreign aid on our own hemisphere. Europe can deal with Africa; we have our own backyard that we neglect criminally.
    Last edited by Patroklos; July 19, 2007, 13:44.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Do you intend to run? Is there a method by which I might vote for you?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The write in of course
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

VOTE FOR PAT!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Bush will be remembered for his achievements.

Comment

Meh, will minor wars that can't produce more deaths per day that the Interstate won't be remembered in 100 years?

Has that Philippine Insurgency thing blown over yet?

Though people might remember that the stock market doubled in value under him.
            Last edited by Patroklos; July 19, 2007, 14:53.

Comment

Mars colony!
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I would like

to have sex with the hottest woman in the nation!
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

How is that different from now?

Comment

Re: I would like

Originally posted by pchang
                    to have sex with the hottest woman in the nation!
                    But what if she likes dog fights?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      VOTE FOR PAT!
                      What happened to Dis' presidency?

Blah

Comment

Re: Re: I would like

Originally posted by VetLegion

But what if she likes dog fights?
                        I'd have her arrested afterwards. Then I'd tell her that I'd pardon her for more sex.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

What happened to Dis' presidency?
                          That’s what happens when you announce your candidacy too early

Comment

I'm sorry but

Originally posted by Patroklos
                            How is that different from now?
                            Monica Lewinsky and Gennifer Flowers are far from being the hottest women in the USA!

Comment

Once you get there, you'll find out you can't get anything done.

Comment

Working...
                              X