X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Corruption

Originally posted by VetLegion
    Do you do it?
    Are you going to be held responsible if he/she screws up?

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Re: Re: Corruption

Originally posted by Nugog

Are you going to be held responsible if he/she screws up?

Yes, but I also want that the rest of the staff not to suspect that I have favorite.
      Statistical anomaly.
      The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Remove yourself from the process, but don't deny them the opportunity. Friends helping friends get a job is not bad, though it can blind some one from making the right decission. Most companies here actually encourage current employees to refer friends by offering bonuses to the employee if their friend is hired. I think thought process is that like attracts like as far as friends are concerned.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
          Remove yourself from the process,
          That is not exactly the question of the thread.
          Statistical anomaly.
          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Re: Corruption

Originally posted by VetLegion
            Say you work for the government and have a say in the hiring process for some branch of it. In the recent hiring process one of the candidates is your high school mate. He phones you, you talk old times. He either hints or explicitly asks for a favor - give his application a push.

Do you do it?
            Assuming my friend was qualified for the job, I'd most likely tell managment about my conflict of interest, but put in a good word about his/her character.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
              If my friend was qualified and right for the job... I'd hire them in a second.

DITTO
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

If the other candidate was marginally better on paper, I would still go with the preson I know. If my friend wasn't even close to the best, I wouldn't hire him.
                PLus in the scenario, you have a "say" in the hiring process but not the absolute word. IF your friend isn't even close, your co-workers will veto or at least seriously question your recommendation of an unqualified person-- and going hard for an unqualified person could hurt your OWN career since you would lose credibility
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Re: Re: Corruption

Originally posted by Arrian

Assuming my friend was qualified for the job, I'd most likely tell managment about my conflict of interest, but put in a good word about his/her character.

-Arrian
                  I wouldn't word it that way-- as a conflict of interest-- I would just tell them as part of my recomendation how I know the person and why I am recommending them. Since I value my credibility highly, people that know me would know that I wouldn't BS them.

and thats the fact-- it could be my best friend in the world, but unless I thought they would do well in the position, I would not be pushing hard for them.

Comment

Oh and generally on nepotism-- MY uncle was the manager of a construction firm and he LOVED hiring the sons and daughters of his long term employees. He swore by it and said he never had one of them that ever caused a problem.

Comment

Well, one could of course argue that, since it would make mommy or daddy look bad, the kids would be under a fair amount of pressure to be extra special good.

There was a girl who worked in a department related to mine a few years back. Daughter of some bigshot in the company. She didn't work out at all - and frankly it was pretty clear she was hired because of the connection (or because she was hot, take your pick).

Unlike the Construction firm situation, the person doing the hiring was *below* the connection on the totem pole.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Is this a Valerie Plame thing?
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Well, one could of course argue that, since it would make mommy or daddy look bad, the kids would be under a fair amount of pressure to be extra special good.
                          EXACTLY-- They would often work the same crew with their parent ( helps the workers transportaion issues to job sites)

There was a girl who worked in a department related to mine a few years back. Daughter of some bigshot in the company. She didn't work out at all - and frankly it was pretty clear she was hired because of the connection (or because she was hot, take your pick).
                          I have seen that as well-- IT is markedly different

Unlike the Construction firm situation, the person doing the hiring was *below* the connection on the totem pole.

-Arrian
                          And that CAN make a lot of difference. Although a bigshot will probably want their kid to do well so as to not reflect badly on them, it is unlikely underlings will raise the bigshot's kids incompetence or attitude with them.

There is no such hesitation when a boss hires a mid-level worker's offspring

Comment

Like others have said, if the person is qualified, you most likely go with them even if someone else interviewed better.

Why?

Because the person you know is a known quanity. He keeps his house clean... pays his bills... doesn't get in to trouble with the law etc... You know what to expect of the person outside of a 15-30 minute interview.
                            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                            X