Corruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corruption

Say you work for the government and have a say in the hiring process for some branch of it. In the recent hiring process one of the candidates is your high school mate. He phones you, you talk old times. He either hints or explicitly asks for a favor - give his application a push.

Do you do it?

It's called "networking."
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Yeah. We're hardwired to help our buddies and expect reciprocity from them. But this is also considered immoral as it breaks the contract you have with the employer.

So which loyalty is stronger? To the contract or to the person? I wonder what majority of people would do. I think that they would help their friend. But if so, how is uncorrupt government ever possible?

Comment

I'm not sure if people would necessarily help a friend if the friend isn't qualified for the job.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

If you have two good people, and one interviews better, you hire that one, right?

And if you have two good people, and you know one (and like thme), why not hire him?

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

If my friend was qualified and right for the job... I'd hire them in a second.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well I consider myself a fairly upstanding guy but I can't confidently say that I would refuse a friend even if he was the worse candidate.

Comment

then you are a bad, bad man and you will be the reason your friend fails.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                  Well I consider myself a fairly upstanding guy but I can't confidently say that I would refuse a friend even if he was the worse candidate.
                  If the other candidate was marginally better on paper, I would still go with the preson I know. If my friend wasn't even close to the best, I wouldn't hire him.
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                    If my friend was qualified and right for the job... I'd hire them in a second.
                    Exactly. That is doing the company/entity a good turn. That is not corrupt. If he/she is not qualified then "Sorry about that, wish I could help."
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                      It's called "networking."

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

If the other candidate was marginally better on paper, I would still go with the preson I know. If my friend wasn't even close to the best, I wouldn't hire him.
                        Indeed... knowing someone's character and whatnot is far more valuable than some "interview". I used to interview people, and it was completely random... some of our worst hires (like the one I had to terminate a month into employment) were some of our best interviews.
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

If I thought my friend would really do a good job, I would give my endorsement, sort of like a reference, but I would then ask to be removed from the hiring decision.
                          In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

If I thought he could do the job, I'd recommend my friend but I wouldn't hire him outright. Its too much a conflict of interests.
                            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

I would not hire a member of my family. Regarding my friends, I would not hire a close friend, and I would consider an ordinary friend not better than a non friend.

As a manager I dont want to be tied by sentiments.
                              Statistical anomaly.
                              The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X