Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Do you play the lottery?

Originally posted by Flubber
    I play every 3-5 months whenever the mood strikes. I understand stats and there are far better games if you want to gamble but I enjoy the little discussions with the wife on how we would spend our winnings.
    I second that, without the me speaking with your wife part.

A good conversation piece among a surprisingly large crossection of the population. Well worth the $1 or $20 when the jackpot is huge.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Dauphin

Lotteries

Comment

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

If I spend $8.50 at the store and have a ten, I'll buy a ticket.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I no longer gamble for money. I have a gambling problem.

On the other hand, I love craps more than you all can imagine. the statistical aspect of it is what fascinates me about it. the gamblers fallacy especially! I love craps craps craps!
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              Stop being so serious and get your arse down the gym, boy!
              Was playing some mixed five-a-side football tonight.

Some fine looking girls on the pitch I must say, and less pretentious than the gym going lookers.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

A fool and his money are soon parted

I'm vehemently opposed to all forms of gambling*.

Why would I WANT to play a negative sum game?
                -> Why would I WANT to profit at the expense of others?

That is how I think, quite innately. And also apparently I don't have the buttons which gambling presses.

* I probably wouldn't call a charitable raffle gambling because it's basically neutral or positive-sum in the community and it's transparently unfair in that the goal is obviously giving money to the charity and the "prize" is just a kind of bonus. Lotteries aren't absolutely terrible, since the profits usually goes to charity, but they lack that transparency...

Comment

The Lottery profits in Tennessee go to college scholarships. I don't mind spending a buck on that occasionally for a chance to win millions.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

my state does not have a lottery. We're against gambling. gambling is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                      The Lottery profits in Tennessee go to college scholarships. I don't mind spending a buck on that occasionally for a chance to win millions.
                      Altruism not good enough for you?
                      You'd rather give a few of those bucks to some idiot who will spend them unwisely?

Your call I guess.

Comment

I have played a couple of times I think, buying a one dollar ticket. I see no harm in it, just another impulse buy. At least it wasn;t spend on unneeded calories.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

unneeded calories

Comment

Originally posted by Blake

Altruism not good enough for you?
                            You'd rather give a few of those bucks to some idiot who will spend them unwisely?

Your call I guess.
                            Scholarships are for "some idiot who will spend them unwisely"?

Hmmmm....interesting.

As far as altruism, I guess I would give my 4 or 5 dollars a year directly if the local convienience store starts handling scholarship funds.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

The idiots are the people who win who aren't you .

But I suppose that lottery as to be set up something like this:

40% goes to charity
                              10% goes to administration
                              50% is the pool

On average, you should get out of the pool what you put in it, so the overhead on the remaining is the administration, and if it is fairly small.

of $10 spent on tickets

$4 goes to charitable causes
                              $1 goes to administration
                              $5 "returns on average"

So you spend $5 to give $4 to charitable causes, the remaining $1, could maybe be justified as worth it for the entertainment.

So I guess that buying lotto tickets for altruistic reasons (20% waste (depending really on how big the administration/corruption slice of the pie is)) is not nearly as stupid as buying them for selfish reasons (50% waste), although it still seems pretty stupid .
                              But in any case lottery mostly attracts people who are stupid and greedy, with perhaps the charity side of things being a minor feel good (or not feel so bad) factor.

Comment

Of couse I do - It's like they say: "You can't win, unless you play."
                                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Working...
                                X