Identity theft hits home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice to know that your bank was helpfl.

i was once called, on my way to vacation, and asked by my credit company whether I had made odd online purchases. I said no, and they said they thought so and that my card had been compromised. They told me not to use it.

Luckily I was vacationing with my dad, since I had no other moneys.

Comment

That's why I carry more than one card at one time.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

anyone who shops at wallmart should know and understand

the they imprint the whole card number on their reciepts

in a small town (west coast)near where I live, the percent of ID theft is remarkable...all tide to Walmart purchases

most of the extra shopping is going on the east coast US, within a day or two of shopping at walmart
        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

The most likely culprits in identity thefts are people you know.

Comment

sb, certainly scan for adware, but the odds are it was from some other source - a credit card database, or else some online retailer you made a purchase at.

It's one reason to only use true credit cards online, or at least to use a bank card that is not tied to your major account. A lot of online retailers are not very careful about their databases.

Also, in retail stores it is not uncommon. Fortunately it's easily caught by the retailer themselves, but it's not uncommon for cashiers to steal credit card information.

Most stores imprint the entire number on the signature slip; some (many) banks require the whole number to be present on the slip if it is disputed.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Er, how is this identity theft? My understanding of identity theft is that it involves someone stealing another person's identity and then doing things in the person's name.

Comment

My g/f's credit card was exploited two years ago when we were on a trip to Spain with a camper, when she used it a lot (at gas stations, etc.) - I'm sure that was no coincidence. In our case too, the bank accepted without any fuzz that we actually did not use this "internet service" from some American supplier.
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

my advice is to use credit cards and not debit cards

Comment

Working...
                  X