Identity theft hits home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity theft hits home.

my wife was distraught the other day when she discovered that she'd hit the overdraft on the account. yesterday, there were three more waiting for her. upon opening them up we discovered that three charges to blizzard entertainment were made for world of warcraft subscriptions.

the funny thing is: neither of us play World of Warcraft. we're going to the bank today to dispute the charges. my best guess is that my computer is riddled with viruses, spyware, and other garbage.

can anyone direct me to a reliable and free adware remover and virus scanner?
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

burn the stuff you awnt to keep to disk

format

have lots of protection when you read those disks

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

AVG

Spybot Search and Destroy.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

In Safe Mode.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I had a World of Warcraft false charge to my account a few months ago too. I disputed the charge online and they removed it.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It was Dis
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

there was a grand total of seven WOW charges, two Itunes charges, and a charge to NCsoft, we've found. the bank was actually quite helpful and said that this sort of thing is frequent and can still hit users that are diligent about their security, instead of lackluster such as myself.

Comment

There's also Ad-Aware.
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

What kind of loser steals someone else's identity and uses it to buy a lot of intangible electronic crap? You'd think he'd buy himself a decent meal, some suits, jewelry, a stereo, etc. Not a bunch of WoW accounts that'll be shut down once his theft is discovered. Were criminals always this stupid?
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Online criminals these days usually steal many credit card numbers and try to keep the charges on each of them small so that they go unnoticed.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                      What kind of loser steals someone else's identity and uses it to buy a lot of intangible electronic crap? You'd think he'd buy himself a decent meal, some suits, jewelry, a stereo, etc. Not a bunch of WoW accounts that'll be shut down once his theft is discovered. Were criminals always this stupid?
                      I think it's probably steal then sell.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

my wife's account is little more than her personal pocket money. there usually is never more than an hundred dollars in it. and when it's close to payday for us (this friday or er... tomorrow) that'll be distinctly less. thank god they didn't hit the main account, it would have taken us far longer to discover the theft. ironically enough i'd purchased a guitar earlier in the day via Ebay and paypal.

all in all, it could be a shyte side worse than it is. the only disappointment i've got is that whomever did this will likely not face any charges: most likely it's some sh!thead in korea or china who is not under the jurisdiction of american laws. god forbid this person is within a two hour drive of my friends and our antique lead plumbing collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                          My guess would be gold sellers. Electronic credit card fraud is more often than not pretty organized, so I don't think it's some loser in a dark room who just had to get their fix.
                          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

the gentleman at blizzard was exceptionally reluctant to talk about gold farming or "secondary economy" as he termed it. this reluctance flagged red for me and pretty much told me how it was.

Comment

Most companies don't even try to do something against it. Some even start selling gold (not explicitly, but in practicality) themselves in an effort to at least control it.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                              X