Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix -- SPOILERS (film & books)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix -- SPOILERS (film & books)

I went to the local premiere over here at midnight (probably a bad decision as I was already ill and will be paying the price for this in the next few days, but I'd already bought the tickets a while back and was very much looking forward to this -- but that's neither here nor there). My first impressions (major spoilers for both the movie and for those who haven't read the book, enter at your own risk):

The good:

- The possession scene (Voldemort trying to possess Harry during the battle with Dumbledore): awesome, awesome, awesomely done, the only truly compelling scene in the movie. Even Rowling could learn something from this
    - Voldermort vs Dumbledore: not as good as in the book and not as good as I had hoped and expected, but still very well done. Special effects galore.
    - Luna! She's absolutely brilliant, best cast yet in the series. The chemistry between her and Harry is great -- if I didn't know better I'd almost have thought there might be something going on there. Her scenes are quite different from the books but they capture her and her relationship with Harry perfectly. Can't wait to see more of her in the next movie(s?).
    - Umbridge is a pretty good cast as well: appropriately evil, exactly as you would expect her to be.
    - Kingsley Shacklebolt A very minor character, even more so than in the books, but he's beyond cool.
    - Bellatrix was wonderful also, but underused.
    - The DA lessons. Quite different from the books, but very satisfying nonetheless.
    - The Dementor attack. Again, nothing like the books, but pretty well done.

The bad:

The rest of the movie, really, where to begin? Snape's worst memory, the betrayal of the DA, the Battle of the Ministry (except for the Dumbledore vs Voldemort part), the scenes in Little Whinging, Harry and Dumbledore's final conversation and countless other scenes are butchered horribly and the very best scene in the entire series -- with Neville's parents in St Mungo's -- is cut entirely! Other things that were cut include Quidditch, lessons (beyond the absolute necessary for the plot), OWLs, Percy (he's an extra in a couple of scenes but only an extra), Dobby, Firenze and the rebellion of Hogwarts vs Umbridge after Fred and George's departure. Probably more that I'm forgetting right now.

Some of the best characters like Snape, Tonks, Draco, Bellatrix and Kreacher are terribly underused. The Dursleys are ridiculously over the top but their scenes are reduced to a fraction of what they need to be and Gambon is still a piss-poor Dumbledore (although not as bad as in GoF). The Harry-Cho relationship is extremely rushed, but that's probably a good thing as there was zero chemistry between them and the kissing scene, though almost word-for-word following the book for a change, was highly unconvincing.

The ugly:

Kreacher & Gwarp
    (Both of which have very minor but good parts BTW, I suspect they were only kept in because they'll prove key characters in Deathly Hallows.)

I can't imagine that anyone who hasn't read the books could follow the story at all -- as far as the movie had a story, it was more a collection of loosely related scenes up to the point where the twins leave Hogwarts (which incidentally was done well enough: not especially awesome as one might expect, but not a disappointment either). There were gaping plot holes as entire key scenes were dropped and many others suffered from poor cuts. E.g. Harry, Ron and Hermione break into Umbridge's office and get caught, but without any kind of explanation Ginny, Neville and Luna are also 'arrested' for this even though they didn't feature in that storyline at all (no mention of them being look-outs or anything). Harry doesn't actually get to use the fireplace either, so he never talks to Kreacher; there's no explanation as to why he flies off to London after he escapes Umbridge, where two scenes before he was bent on contacting Sirius first. Percy betrayed his family and is working for the Ministry as you'd expect, but his name isn't even mentioned and he has no speaking part, so it's impossible to know what's up with him if you haven't read the books -- although I guess if you haven't odds are you didn't even notice his presence.

The whole movie was very much chopped up and highly rushed, in a way that makes GoF look positively cohesive. I guess that's a necessity since this was the largest book, but I'm sure there's a better way to go around it than to just drop half the plot and leave the (non-book-reading) audience guessing as to what's happening in between the scenes you do get to see. The story deviates VERY STRONGLY from the book: it completely rearranges the chronology (e.g. the Inquisitorial Squad is founded near the start of the year, Trelawny is chucked out much sooner and Hagrid returns much later), skips major plot points that are quite necessary to understand the story and makes up some scenes to replace some of the stuff that's left out (e.g. the way the Room of Requirement is first discovered and the DA is betrayed, as neither Dobby nor Marietta are in the movie). The only additions that I really liked were the Harry-Luna scenes and the way Umbridge/the Ministry taking over Hogwarts was portrayed: some scenes are added that aren't in the books but that illustrates quite well what's going on in a way that you couldn't have done in the movie if you followed the book more closely (and wanted to keep the film under 5 hours). The movie is never a compelling story though, and except for Neville (to some extent) there's no character development and none of the plotlines beyond the Battle of the Ministry get the attention they deserve. It seems more like a race to get to the grand finale, which itself isn't as good as it should have been. Especially the Order vs Deatheaters fight and Sirius's death are disappointing (and there's no time for grieving afterwards).

Overall I think this was the worst of the movies. If you're a Potter fan you'll still want to see it, if only for the purty pictures, but I wouldn't bother rushing out to see the first screenings, and certainly don't get your hopes up too high. Despite what I've seen just about every other reviewer claim, it's not nearly as good as the last two. Or maybe I'm just becoming too much of a curmudgeon...

Ah well, at least the book's only 9 days away, should still be a good summer for Potter fans
    Last edited by Locutus; July 10, 2007, 23:44.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

My wife and one of the boys are just leaving for the midnight premiere here. Unfortunately, I have to work tommorow.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

My office has a mandatory meeting tomorrow . But a bunch of us are going at 7:00 PM tomorrow night. And then a few of us are seeing it on IMAX on Saturday .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The review I read from the paper here said pretty much the same thing. That the movie was pretty much the same thing we've seen in the past. Not much new. It almost makes me not want to go see it, but I'm a die hard Potter fan. I was really hoping this would be great.
        Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
        Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
        Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
        You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Tia, it's a 900 page book (in hardcover, in the paperback it was probably a bunch more) narrowed down to 2 hours and 18 minutes. How much "great" can you expect when the movie has to necessarily cut so much of the nuance and backstory that makes the Potter books so great?

It's a fact of life that happens when you have massive books and a set number of hours to display them in.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I know this, read it. However, from what I've read so far and I can only have a very small, one sided opinion at this point, it sounds like they concentrated on the wrong things. I saw no mention of the quill that scratched Harry's hand until it bled. That was a pretty significant part since Umbridge was always punishing him with it.

I guess I shouldn't pass judgement until I see it. Besides it really won't matter because as I said in first post, I'm a Potter fan.
            Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
            Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
            Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
            You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Oh, the quill's in the movie alright. I have to say the scene of Harry's first detention with Umbridge was quite well done. Unfortunately that quill gets overused so much in the rest of the movie that it takes away from the power of that first scene IMO -- about half the school suffers from the same punishment Harry got, entirely classes at once even.

Comment

Wait a second, Locutus, let me make sure I understood you:

THEY CUT OUT "CHRISTMAS ON THE CLOSED WARD"?!

That was, far and away, the most affecting, heart-breaking scene Rowling has ever written!

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Comment

Urge to kill... rising...
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

My daughter is pissed because she has to play in a softball game tonight instead of going with all of her friends. She has to wait until this weekend to go when my wife and I go...

The rest of the movie, really, where to begin? Snape's worst memory, the betrayal of the DA, the Battle of the Ministry (except for the Dumbledore vs Voldemort part), the scenes in Little Whinging, Harry and Dumbledore's final conversation and countless other scenes are butchered horribly and the very best scene in the entire series -- with Neville's parents in St Mungo's -- is cut entirely!

Other things that were cut include Quidditch, lessons (beyond the absolute necessary for the plot), OWLs, Percy (he's an extra in a couple of scenes but only an extra), Dobby, Firenze and the rebellion of Hogwarts vs Umbridge after Fred and George's departure. Probably more that I'm forgetting right now.

Some of the best characters like Snape, Tonks, Draco, Bellatrix and Kreacher are terribly underused.
                      I view the movies and the books as two separate entities. It's the movies that introduced me to the books. I'm rereading the books now and I still enjoy them because they present much more info about the characters than the movies do.

Funny thing is when the LotR movies came out, they absolutely destroyed the books for me, because I feel Jackson really fleshed out the characters better than Tolkien did. Tolkien's main strength was in presenting the world and history of Middle Earth as the primary focus, which I felt that Jackson did a good job on capturing too. The end result was that the movies were a step up for me.

The problem also is that as much as these scenes/characters add richness to the story, they will always fall on the cutting room floor because of the limitations of plot progression in a movie vs the time allotted for the movie. (rule of thumb...concentrate on what drives the major plot first) Though, from what I gather, the OotP movie is the shortest movie of all five. Go figure...

If the producers would be able to give the public a 3 hour movie, this stuff would be in - and LotR showed that the public would still go see long movies, and they would still be blockbusters. The HP franchise has already shown that it can be a substantial cash cow.

I'd still like the producers to do what they did with the LotR movies...release substantially extended versions of the Harry Potter movies.

I'd pay for those...

Rowlings does have a large say as to what is in and out of the movies. And remember that all of your mentioned 'underused' characters are somewhat minor in Book 5.

Tonks/Kreacher will get fleshed out in the next 2 movies. My guess is that Percy, as much as I am fascinated by him, will always be a background character...unless he does sell out his family in Book 7 (which I hope he does, and gets nailed for it).

And Snape/Malfoy/Bellatrix will really get center stage in HBP.
                      Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                      ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Great show

Personally I considered it to be about on par with Goblet of Fire, and a step below Prisoner of Azkaban (but above the first two). A bit disjointed at times, but they did a fairly good job fitting a 900 page book into 2.5 hours.

A few favorite parts were cut, but they didn't quite move the plot all that much (St. Mungo's, Percy's turning from the Weasley's Neville's charging at the Death Eaters with the busted nose). And contrary to Locutus, I thought the battle at the Ministry of Magic was VERY well done. The Death Eaters vs. the Order of the Phoenix was just some great action... especially seeing how the experienced wizards were effortlessly casting without saying the names of the spells and how they swept down from nowhere.

Sirius' death was also, IMO, well done... this time leaving no doubt he's gone. And a good semi-silent scene afterwards showing Harry's pain.

All in all, good fun. Probably hard to follow for folks who didn't read the books (though I went with one of those and he didn't find it all that hard), but I view the movies as a compliment to the books.

And the actress playing Luna, NAILED the part... the look, the voice, the mannerisms... perfect. Also, notice how much more advanced Ginny seemed to be in learning the spells Harry was teaching her. She's going to be very valuable in the fight against Voldemort in Book 7.

Some meaningful glances between Hermione and Ron exchanged as well.

And the cinematography and special effects were absolutely brilliant.

AND, I'm seeing it on IMAX on Saturday morning

Comment

Azkaban is, IMO, the best Potter movie so far. In part because it was the best Potter book, IMO; also because the director was the most talented one of the bunch. I haven't seen 'Order of the Phoenix' yet, though.
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Upon seeing this, I have to almost entirely agree with Locutus's commentary. Well, I was never a fan of the movies, so I wasn't really expecting much anyway. Not as horrible as GoF, though, I cringed all throughout that movie.

The worst part of this movie is how terribly disjointed it is. Really, no one who hasn't read the book can follow the plot well. Lots and lots of things left unexplained.

The attack on Mr. Weasley. Horrible. The attack scene is swift, but not particularly vicious. No real impression that he's near death. Next scene, Dumbledore orders the portraits to find him, then an Occlumency scene, and the next scene Arthur is at home celebrating Christmas. No feeling that he barely escaped death.

The dementor attack is the only part Locutus likes and I don't. This might be my purist nature creeping through, I don't like when they change things too much without the need - I didn't like how the Dementors seem to attack physically.

Cutting out the St Mungo's scene with Neville's parents It's the best emotional scene in the books, at least until Dumbledore's death.

It's very, very bad how almost every nice little detail from the books is gone. I liked how, in the books, there was a mention of two people resigning in protest over the Ministry removing Dumbledore from the Wizengamot, and then there were slandering articles in the Prophet about them both. Well, that's not something you could expect in the movies.

The best little detail, though, is the brief glimpse of Aberforth Dumbledore with the goat

Other than the nonsensical changes to the plot already pointed out, I didn't like the prophecy being spoken when Harry picked it up. It was then heard by the rest of the DA folks there - in the books, Harry only shares it with Ron and Hermione, and even that he does in the next book. It shouldn't be so public.

No grief or anger from Harry over Sirius's death. Only some immediate emotions - no shouting at Dumbledore later. And in these final minutes of the movie, he seemed more disappointed than truly devastated. Not enough emotion.

Snape's worst memory was extremely short and totally unimpressive. A glimpse of young Snape and a few seconds of young James. No Lily, no dialogue, Lupin and Sirius useless there. Meh.

And Cho betraying the DA might just be the worst change to the plot. Why do that? They could've let any of the less-known characters do it, or have a very minor Marietta role. It's absolutely nonsensical after the books that Cho would do it.

The upsides are, of course, the casting of Luna and Umbridge. Both are great, and Luna considerably exceeded my expectations. Bellatrix is great but barely used, and I loved what little there was of Snape. I've liked Rickman's portrayal of Snape since the first movie, a consistent high-point IMO.
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The attack on Mr. Weasley. Horrible. The attack scene is swift, but not particularly vicious. No real impression that he's near death.

Say what? Obviously looking as if he's being bitten by a snake and he's got bloody bites all over him.

It's very, very bad how almost every nice little detail from the books is gone.

They usually don't like 5 hour films in Hollywood these days .

Snape's worst memory was extremely short and totally unimpressive. A glimpse of young Snape and a few seconds of young James. No Lily, no dialogue, Lupin and Sirius useless there. Meh.

I thought it was good enough. The important point is that James wasn't the great guy Harry seems to think he was. And that was conveyed powerfully. James was a bully and a bully to Snape.

And Cho betraying the DA might just be the worst change to the plot. Why do that? They could've let any of the less-known characters do it, or have a very minor Marietta role. It's absolutely nonsensical after the books that Cho would do it.

Well, in having to cut a bunch from the movie, getting deep into how the DA was found out would have taken too much backstory to keep it under 2.5 hours. This way, the DA is found out and Harry has a good reason not to persue Cho anymore (even though later it is found out that she had talked under Veritaserum).

Comment

Working...
                              X