"The Authoritarians" A free ebook worth a read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Authoritarians" A free ebook worth a read

I recommend this free ebook to anyone interested in contemporary politics. I think it sheds more light on current issues than most other books I have read.

The author is Rob Altemeyer, a professor from the University of Manitoba, and probably the world authority on the so-called "authoritarian personality". I came across it from reading one of John Dean's (yes, the Watergate Dean) books, which was heavily based on Altemeyer's research.

For the record, I think I got in the mid 20s for his authoritarian personality test, which is in line with my odd results for the political compass test (-10 left, -9.5 authoritarian).

You can get a complete PDF of the book here (it has been authorised for download by the author). It's less than an hour's read for most people.

Only feebs vote.

For the record, I think I got in the mid 20s for his authoritarian personality test, which is in line with my odd results for the political compass test (-10 left, -9.5 authoritarian).

Oh come on, you know you've always wanted to throw a capitalist out of a helicopter.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Oh come on, you know you've always wanted to throw a capitalist out of a helicopter.
      Everyone knows I was the throwee in that situation (I think I was the target of that particular bomb).

Anyway, you should read the book. All Libertarians should read it for a start, as it might make them understand themselves better (and no, they aren't authoritarians, but it will help them understand why they make such little headway in the conservative movement).
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Everyone knows I was the throwee in that situation (I think I was the target of that particular bomb).

I know; my statement stands

Comment

I know; my statement stands
          No it doesn't. Everyone knows my preferred method of dealing with incorrigible capitalists is the gulag.

A helicopter embodies a significant amount of the people's labour. It is not to be wasted on punishing reactionaries.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

I had my doubts, but since I had half an hour to spare before going bicycling with a friend, I started reading. Three minutes on, I got slapped by this paragraph (emphasis mine) on page 11 of the pdf:

Author of "TheAuthoritarians.pdf":

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the Communist Party, or any other political party. I do give money to various parties, trying to defeat whomever I am most disgustatated with at the time. (My political contributions have almost become automatic withdrawals from my bank account since one ofour sons became a Member of the Legislative Assembly in our province.) I did not flee to Canada in 1968 because of the war in Viet-Nam. I crossed the border with my draft board=s good wishes because the University of Manitoba offered me the best job I could find. And my research has not been funded by "some liberal think-tank" or foundation. Instead, I paid for almost all of it out of my own pocket. I have not had a research grant since 1972--not because I am opposed to people giving me money, but because I proved so lousy at getting grants that I gave up. (Whereas I, like my politician son, found I was a soft touch whenever I hit me up for some dough.)
            Right. I think I'll pass and concentrate on reading OTF instead...

Comment

I found this amusing:

Altemeyer, inventor of the RWA Scale, believes that there is no such thing as a Left Wing Authoritarian.
              Is it an unfortunate evolutionary holdover, or the product of bad upbringing?

Heh. Let's redefine all the authoritarian commies as "right wingers!"

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                I found this amusing:

Is it an unfortunate evolutionary holdover, or the product of bad upbringing?

Heh. Let's redefine all the authoritarian commies as "right wingers!"

-Arrian
                Ugh what a ****** that guy is. And you should be ashamed of yourself for not bothering to read the book before spouting off with a response from some half baked idiot site. You only have to read as far as page 9 in this case. Instead, you just pied yourself in the face.

"right" in Altemeyer's "right wing authoritarian" doesn't refer to the political right wing. If you read his book, you would know this. Obviously you didn't even try to read it before saying something plainly wrong (so what's new).

Page 9

Because the submission occurs to traditional authority, I call these followers right- wing authoritarians. I’m using the word “right” in one of its earliest meanings, for in Old English “riht”(pronounced “writ”) as an adjective meant lawful, proper, correct, doing what the authorities said.
                He does not say that there is no such thing as a left wing authoritarian. Again, from the same page:

In North America people who submit to the established authorities to
                extraordinary degrees often turn out to be political conservatives, 2 so you can call them “right-wingers” both in my new-fangled psychological sense and in the usual political sense as well. But someone who lived in a country long ruled by Communists and who ardently supported the Communist Party would also be one of my psychological right-wing authoritarians even though we would also say he was a political left-winger. So a right-wing authoritarian follower doesn’t necessarily have conservative political views.
                He goes on to say that the only left wing authoritarians he met were a few radicals in the 1970s, who slavishly followed their particular figurehead (the sort of commies I don't like).

He goes on:

I’m sure one can find left-wing authoritarians here and there, but they hardly exist in sufficient numbers now to threaten democracy in North America. However I have found bucketfuls of right-wing authoritarians in nearly every sample I have drawn in Canada and the United States for the past three decades.
                It's just an established fact that authoritarian personalities in Canada and the US are predominantly conservatives. But it does not follow that because someone is a conservative, that they are most likely an authoritarian.

Whoever wrote that article you linked to hasn't read Altemeyer properly. He is not saying that conservatism is a mental disorder, or that right wing authoritarianism is a mental disorder. The latter is simply a personality type, whereas the former is a political orientation.

But then again, don't expect authoritarians to accept anything that is scientifically demonstrated. According to Altemeyer's research, they are pretty much immune to reason if it conflicts with established authority.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Ugh what a ****** that guy is. And you should be ashamed of yourself for not bothering to read the book before spouting off with a response from some half baked idiot site. You only have to read as far as page 9 in this case. Instead, you just pied yourself in the face
                  I found it while doing a google search on his "authoritarian test" hoping I'd find an online version so I could take it.

I didn't find that, but instead found the "reason magazine" thing. Then I had to go to a meeting. So I posted what I had found, which amused me. I noticed that the hyperlink in the article was broken, which might've been a hint

I may still read the book. I just had other things to do.

-Arrian
                  Last edited by Arrian; July 11, 2007, 11:41.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Because the submission occurs to traditional authority, I call these followers right- wing authoritarians. I’m using the word “right” in one of its earliest meanings, for in Old English “riht”(pronounced “writ”) as an adjective meant lawful, proper, correct, doing what the authorities said.
                    So, the current definition doesn't fit his perceptions, so he goes back centuries to find a correct usage.

This book is obviously not worth reading, unless you are a Communist Philosophy student. ;p

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Why reinvent "right wing"? Why not just call them lawful neutral?

Comment

And, of course, the test is in the book.

The questions were pretty silly, though. Then again, they usually are.

-Arrian

Comment

Why reinvent "right wing"? Why not just call them lawful neutral?
                          It allows the author to define all law abiding peoples as submissives and right wing hacks. Duh.

Thus defining Chaotic Evil types like Aggy as the good guys.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I got 51 on the test. Everyone needs to obey me.
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

So, the current definition doesn't fit his perceptions, so he goes back centuries to find a correct usage.

This book is obviously not worth reading, unless you are a Communist Philosophy student. ;p

ACK!
                              Not true. You could also be a communist philosophy professor.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X