"The Authoritarians" A free ebook worth a read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting read indeed.
    Made me think of a bigot b*** I know, very good at compartmentalised thoughts and double standards.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
      The concept that one obeys the law or submits to the rule of law because of fear is probably true. Most people drive at or near the speed limit don't cheat on there taxes etc. for fear of getting caught and paying some penalty. Laws by their nature are ultimately enforced by police action hence compliance requires fear.

The concept that doing so is necessarily a bad thing is a completely different matter.

The ultimate appropriateness and 'bravery' of resisting authority is likewise questionable. A) the rule/law/authority may have merit. B) the resistors often are likewise cowed by peer group reaction and simply sheep of their own smaller sect.
      The prof. goes out of his way to explain that being law-abiding (submitting to authority) is of course not always a bad thing - but that an extreme tendency to do it can be dangerous. That should be obvious.

In fact, a lot of what he says struck me as rather obvious. He just backs it up with psychology study results.

The fear I was talking about wasn't the fear of punishment, Ogie. That has its impact too, of course, but I was referring to a more general fear. A fear of bad things happening to you, which causes you (naturally) to crave protection.

Again, he notes that this is something everybody has, to varying degrees. As is the desire to act "normal" (the peer group thing you mentioned).

Everyone submits to authority to some extent - and that's often a good thing. But it can be dangerous. And he's pointing out what he sees as the danger. I generally agree with him, and did before I read his book. It's rather obvious.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
      X