No announcement yet.

Suggestion- "Civ of the month"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll chuck up a poll tomorrow. That should give plenty of chance for more favourites to emerge. Personally speaking, I'd like to do a Viking one, but the public will do the deciding.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

It as easy as ABC.

If we can accept the bible as a source (and Im not sure how reliable this particular section of Kings is considered) we've got Jezebel.

If you can't accept the book of Kings as a source, you get rid of a lot of your narrative material on early Phoenicia. A few Egpyptian mentions, and then Herodutus, I guess.

What other sources on early Phoenicia are there?
      archaeology, phoenician tablets etc
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I'm happy to do Ghana/Mali/Songhai, any of the various Moroccan civs (the Almohads, Almoravids, Saadians) or one of the Persian/Iranian Civs, who still haven't had their proper respect from Civilization...

... or the Hussites.

Lordy Bob. I'd struggle to come up with entertaining stuff about Phoenicians.
        Lazdagimp

Responsible for the spread of the black cat around the Mediterranean, gave an alphabetic script to the Greeks, set up trading outposts from Cyprus to Malta to Libya to Morocco to southern Spain, traded with Celtic Cornwall, the Greeks and the Egyptians, manufactured a highly valuable purple dye, fought with the Achaemenids at Salamis...
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Lazdagimp

Responsible for the spread of the black cat around the Mediterranean, gave an alphabetic script to the Greeks, set up trading outposts from Cyprus to Malta to Libya to Morocco to southern Spain, traded with Celtic Cornwall, the Greeks and the Egyptians, manufactured a highly valuable purple dye, fought with the Achaemenids at Salamis...
          We could also argue about the meaning of "entertaining"

Not that I dont love detailed trade data, myself.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Hrm. I seem to have picked a dud. Maybe that's why I don't know much about them...

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The Phoenicians. Aren't they the guys that survived the destruction of Atlantis?
              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
              And notifying the next of kin
              Once again...

Comment

Working...
              X