Suggestion- "Civ of the month"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion- "Civ of the month"

Whilst kicking around a few thoughts about how we can develop this forum, I found myself mulling over the idea of "Civ of the month".

The reasoning works like this- your average history magazine tends to have "specials" each month where there are a few articles based around a common core topic. How I see this working here would be for a particular civilisation (eg Ancient Greece, Viking-era Scandinavia) being selected for a forthcoming month, with posters here volunteering/pledging to submit an article or discussion topic based on that civilisation.

My hope is that this will get more people submitting articles, as well as allowing more in-depth discussion than might be expected from the piecemeal approach taken so far.

Any thoughts? Good idea, or sucky suggestion?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Good idea.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Any preferences on topics to cover?

Comment

We could break down each civ's particular religious beliefs, technology, political structure, relations with other civs, modern influence, its presense in popular culture...
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

UU, traits, starting techs, leader graphics.

Oh wait....

Comment

Perhaps a Continental rotation as well. No two civs from the same continent until all continents have had a civ represented? With the exception of Antarctica of course. and maybe Australia??
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

And recent news headlines from that civ, too.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

I could do a bit on the afro-shirazi kingdoms of East Africa at some point. I've been to the ruins of Kilwa, they were very interesting.
                Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

we could also argue about what constitutes a civ.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Religion!
                    Nation!
                    Religion!
                    Nation!

My suggestion for civ of the month:

The Phoenicians.

What I know of them is quite limited... basically "they begat Carthage."

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Maybe each civ should get its own sub-forum

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Religion!
                        Nation!
                        Religion!
                        Nation!

My suggestion for civ of the month:

The Phoenicians.

What I know of them is quite limited... basically "they begat Carthage."

-Arrian
                        at some risk I will mention that pointing out their contribution to Greek civilization (and unhappily refering to it as a "semitic" contribution) was one of the things that contributed to one of the recent rows that are threatening to eat Poly.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Lordy Bob. I'd struggle to come up with entertaining stuff about Phoenicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                            Lordy Bob. I'd struggle to come up with entertaining stuff about Phoenicians.
                            It as easy as ABC.

If we can accept the bible as a source (and Im not sure how reliable this particular section of Kings is considered) we've got Jezebel.

If you can't accept the book of Kings as a source, you get rid of a lot of your narrative material on early Phoenicia. A few Egpyptian mentions, and then Herodutus, I guess.

What other sources on early Phoenicia are there?

Comment

Hey Laz,

When will you provide a list of possible candidates for July?

This looks like it could be fun as well as informative.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                              X