Brown gives up the power to declare war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown gives up the power to declare war

Gordon Brown will this week propose surrendering historic powers delegated to previous prime ministers by the monarch as part of a wide-ranging programme of constitutional reform.

The reforms are expected to involve Mr Brown giving up royal prerogatives traditionally exercised by the prime minister, such as the power to declare war without parliamentary approval or to appoint bishops to the Church of England.

Good for Gordon if he is giving up the royal prerogative.

How will he achieve his evil neocolonialist and interventionist goals now?
    Blah

Comment

By lying to parliament and getting them to vote. Like Tony did for Iraq.

Comment

So would that mean the Queen could declare war on her own volition again?

Or the future King Charles
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I bet the Queen could whip some arse... and I doubt Charles will ever be king.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Yet another check on English aggressors.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Now if only the United States could write something into our Constitution that would do the same thing. Oh wait....
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                Yet another check on English aggressors.
                Tony Blair was technically Scottish.

Comment

It's British aggressors anyway
                  Blah

Comment

Tony Blair was technically Scottish.

The Scottish may be your leaders now, but the English are the ones with the history of aggression. I'm sure that's why Brown is doing this, to keep the English in check.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

He should need approval from the Scottish parliament, too
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

He should need approval from the Scottish parliament, too

QFT
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                          Now if only the United States could write something into our Constitution that would do the same thing. Oh wait....
                          Yes, declaring war before you invade is rather quaint. I'm not sure if the Iraq resolution counts as a "declaration of war," but if so it's the first time a prez has bothered in decades. So much simpler to mount peacekeeping/bombdropping missions at your own discretion...
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

There was no declaration of war in the Falklands.
                            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

Yes, declaring war before you invade is rather quaint. I'm not sure if the Iraq resolution counts as a "declaration of war," but if so it's the first time a prez has bothered in decades. So much simpler to mount peacekeeping/bombdropping missions at your own discretion...
                              There was also a resolution before the first Iraq war (in 1990).

And a resolution just before the bombing of Afghanistan in 2001.

The latter was not particularly controversial. I think in part congress did it precisely to maintain the War Powers Act, and to avoid a further precedent for war without congressional authorization.

There was also a congressional resolution re Kosovo.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                              X