No announcement yet.

On Getting Old...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The past few months have really impressed upon me that I'm getting older.

Playing softball on the residency team in the Columbus rec league, and it occurs to me that I am nowhere near as strong or as fast as I was even 3 years ago. I used to be fast enough to stretch out a routine single into a double at least 50% of the time, and I could crack 'em out to the fence for at least a 3-bagger once a game. This season, never got more than a single. I'm so freaking old.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

You could have gone all day without making this point.
      What did I do to you? Build up AAHZ's esteem and well-being, while stomping me at the same time?
      That's efficient anyway.

@ AAHZ:
      The remark about whining was a joke, I didn't mean to be rude. Sorry if it looked that way.
      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
      And notifying the next of kin
      Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
        My next B-day will be my 50th. As much as work may seem unbearably wearing for you now, just keep in mind that it gets much, much worse.

Also, just as work has become so much more consuming as the decades have slipped away, over the next couple of decades what we're enduring now will seem a piece of vanilla cake, and then we too will die.

I hope this cheered you up.
        Jeez, Lancer, cheer us all up. I'm 58, and feel it every day. You get to complain after your first heart attack, if you live. AAHZ, try Effexor, if it's psychosomatic -- doesn't have the same allergy pattern as others. Some of us do have brains that don't produce enough of some chemicals -- the meds help that, even if the psych docs don't really know why.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

My heart may sometime try a frontal assault but I'm more concerned that my prostate will flank me.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; April 27, 2011, 08:37.
            Order of the Fly
            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Doctor-prescribed unfortunately. We have very weird drug laws.

Lance, my prostate jumped me at 38. Old injuries act up regularly. "Growing old is not for sissies," according to Bette Davis. Ain't that the way? Does beat the heck out of the alternative. A professional colleague says, "Any day above ground is a good day."
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Your prostate jumped you?

Comment

Swelled up, need Flomax to pee normally.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                    A professional colleague says, "Any day above ground is a good day."
                    No shiat!!
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                      Swelled up, need Flomax to pee normally.
                      I have a old friend, 73 years old in fact, that got himself an artificial prostate that he swears by. Thing is, it's like an elevator. Push the button it goes up, push it again, it goes down.

Now that's performance.

Comment

Pimp My Prostate?
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.
                            Discovering the fountain of youth?
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                              Pimp My Prostate?
                              Well, I didn't know you felt this way PH. Sure...umm, lets move this conversation to PM shall we?

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; April 27, 2011, 08:38.
                                Order of the Fly
                                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                                X