Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i've been without parental supervision for 24 hours!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't give it that connotation. But other people do
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
      Not society- people.
      What else is society composed of ?

Ferrets ?

It's perfectly clear that the word 'slut' has wholly negative connotations, and that the word 'stud' does not.

We have stud farms, and horses are put out to stud.

If we are emulous of a man's sexual prowess (which apparently we're meant to be) then we say 'he's a real stud' or 'he's so studly'.

'Slutty' or 'sluttishly' labels the same kind of sexual behaviour in women as a bad thing.

'Slut' and 'slattern'- Northern Germanic words having to do with untidy, sloppy, dirty, slovenly and ultimately loose women.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
        What else is society composed of ?
        The point being, you tit, that it's not some unknown, untangible, unstoppable entity gives words their meaning, it's people. We decide what a word means. And if slut and stud mean the exact same thing (Even if the roots of the word aren't nice: stud also has connotations of some unthinking animal whose sole purpose in life is to breed with females- hardly all that complimenting to a man really!) then if people recognise this and use them equally instead of whining then it'll change.

Look at how the term "******" evolved. Now the only people who use it as an insult now are seen as morons (Since they are). Why can't the same be done for "slut"?

Comment

But they both carry very different connotations...slut is negative and stud is positive, and the former is female and the latter is male. I suppose you could call a man a slut (which is now a bit more acceptable nowadays, linguistically speaking), although calling a woman a stud would just be a bit odd...I'm sure there would be a better word for the equivalent.
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I can't see the term "stud" as positive. It brings to mind images of some awful 70's throwback with bouffant hair, sweaty armpits and probably a nasty case of chlamydia.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

i use the term "stud" in a positive way, but no one i know IRL uses it like how you guys are talking about it.

"that guy is a total stud" means "that guy is totally attractive" here.

Comment

The point being, you tit, that it's not some unknown, untangible, unstoppable entity gives words their meaning, it's people.
                Does this mean we can't complain when people give words meanings that we don't like?

If I were to say, "I don't like it that [Democrats/Republicans/Tories/Labour/Congress/BJP] won the elections, because it's bad for me," would you say "You decide, by voting, who wins an election, so don't complain!"

Look at how the term "******" evolved. Now the only people who use it as an insult now are seen as morons (Since they are). Why can't the same be done for "slut"?
                I would like that. But it isn't the case.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The point being, you tit,
                  And that's all of your 'argument' I needed to read.

You lose, right from the start. What a sad, drab, limited imagination to have laboured over a keyboard and come up with 'tit' !

it's not some unknown, untangible, unstoppable entity gives words their meaning
                  Who said it was ? Not I.

an extended social group having a distinctive cultural and economic organization
                  - society.

the fashionable elite
                  -society.

a group of interacting people who share a geographical region, a sense of common identity, and a common culture.
                  -society.

Perhaps you're the only person who imagines that a social group or collection of people with a common identity (from class, language, culture or ethnicity) is an:

unknown, untangible, unstoppable entity
                  Well, you and Margaret Thatcher. Another person connected with blowing out gas...

Look at how the term "******" evolved.
                  Do please, give us some examples.

Now the only people who use it as an insult now are seen as morons
                  That's a changing attitude towards race and racism and lack of tolerance for public displays of 'intolerance' and legal penalties for such.

You're confusing the sound and use of words and evolving social attitudes and legislation affecting minorities.

How are you going to legislate for the use of 'slut' ?

Why can't the same be done for "slut"?
                  What are you, a naive

great tit
                  ?

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

excellent invididual effort

Originally posted by molly bloom
                    5.4/10

edit:
                    "that guy is a total stud" means "that guy is totally attractive" here.
                    That was the point. It has such a positive connotation that ignorant sluts who don't know it's real meaning define it from it's used context to mean a generally good-looking guy, and thus it slowly evolves to become a slang term for positive things.

Stud means a type of male animal, main function of which is to have sex.
                    Last edited by RGBVideo; July 7, 2007, 08:07.

Comment

Re: excellent invididual effort

Originally posted by VJ

Mercifully, I'm not interested in your exaggerated opinion of your I.Q. points or your penile dimensions in centimetres.

Stud means a type of male animal, main function of which is to have sex.
                      I suggest you study the English language a little more closely and in depth.

I doubt I could have much more contempt for your intellectually challenged posts, but some experiments are always worth trying...

Comment

Working...
                      X