Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there never be any wars in Europe again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw: Russia is attempting to regain its former strength. A future cold war is not a far-fetched idea imo.

Yes it is... there's no way Russia will gain the economic power to compete with the rest of Europe, let alone US + Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      Btw: Russia is attempting to regain its former strength. A future cold war is not a far-fetched idea imo.

Yes it is... there's no way Russia will gain the economic power to compete with the rest of Europe, let alone US + Europe.
      There's a lotta money in them thar resources.

Plus the Chinese are actively working to industrialize Siberia by immigrating there in droves...you never know the consequences of these things long term.

Far fetched? Maybe... Impossible? Not hardly.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

Molly calling someone else daft after spouting this drivel
        I'm always willing to entertain your 'analysis', however inaccurate, vague and illogical.

I can't think of any ethnic holiday that is not celebrated by everyone here,
        Your lack of general or specific knowledge of your own country is not my chief concern.

with the exception of retarded made up holidays like Qwansa (sp? like I care).[/
        Please, why are African Americans denigrated for their 'retarded made up' holiday ?

They weren't allowed openly to continue their own religious festivals or practice their culture when they were shipped to the Americas.

I fail to see why Kwanzaa is any more 'made up' than any number of Christian festivals celebrated on the feast days of spurious saints- Saint Valentine being a notable example.

Oh of course- black Americans celebrate it. Now I get your drift.

Christmas Day is another fine example of a 'made up' holiday- timed coincidentally to occur roughly when pagan midwinter festivals would have taken place.

The thing about St Patty's and whatnot is it is done in good humor.
        And what, Kwanzaa involves burning effigies of Jefferson Davis and Barry Goldwater ?

Remembering one's heritage is different than maintaining it.
        Uh huh. We always used to say in Dublin that you could spot an Irish American- they were so well-balanced.

Big chips on both shoulders.

I don't remember too many Irishman demanding we post our street signs in Gaelic.
        I don't recall any Iranian Americans demanding street signs in Farsi. But then you're the one admitting to the defective knowledge of his own country, so...

Iranians? Theyre usually protesting against the Mullahs when they get in the news, but being largely an upper middle class community, they tend not to be in the news all that much.
        lotm

Newsworthiness wasn't the issue. Iranians have ancient celebrations, predating Islam- Iranian New Year, for instance.

Why isn't that celebrated with the same hoo-hah that St. Patrick's Day gets in Chicago, New York and Boston ?
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

"The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

if it involved alcohol, we'd celebrate with them.

their culture needs a little booze.

on second thought, maybe not. I can't imagine what kind of angry drunks they'd be.

I just realized how angry they are, and they aren't even drunk.

No, they aren't demanding street signs in Farsi, but they are demanding to wear burkhas when taking drivers license photos. Supreme court shot that down, but the demand was still there. Woman shouldn't have been driving anyways.

Comment

Incidentally, Kwanzaa was invented back in the 60s by a black nationalist who had a thing for torturing women.
              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Kwanzaa will only become a great holiday when it is celebrated on a Monday and we all get three day weekends.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                  Incidentally, Kwanzaa was invented back in the 60s by a black nationalist who had a thing for torturing women.
                  And 'Thanksgiving' was invented by pacifists who launched a not for profit land sharing scheme with the indigenes... or maybe not.

Christmas- invented by those great folks who gave us witch burnings, the Crusades and the Thirty Years' War.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

What do you have against the 30 years war?
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                      What do you have against the 30 years war?
                      It came too early for me.

There's never a great decades-spanning conflict with religious and civil strife, famine, exile and cannibalism around, when you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

And 'Thanksgiving' was invented by pacifists who launched a not for profit land sharing scheme with the indigenes... or maybe not.

Christmas- invented by those great folks who gave us witch burnings, the Crusades and the Thirty Years' War.
                        Would a holiday invented by a white nationalist be just as legitimate to you as Kwanzaa?
                        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

There's never a great decades-spanning conflict with religious and civil strife, famine, exile and cannibalism around, when you need it.
                          True, true.

Comment

I think what Islam needs to become peaceful is a 30 years war between sunnies and shiias, after that, what happened to christians back then, will happen to them, they will realize fighting over religion is not worthy.
                            I need a foot massage

Comment

I think they need to run out of oil, so we can build The Great Wall mkII around them and let them play in their sandbox all by themselves.

This one will have machineguns, lazer beams, death rays, and be made out of pig hides. Lets see them pull a Mongol on that!

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia

Would a holiday invented by a white nationalist be just as legitimate to you as Kwanzaa?
                                Which white nationalist holiday did you have in mind ?

Voortrekker Day ?

Comment

Working...
                                X