Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there never be any wars in Europe again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In America, anyone can pretty well celebrate any holiday they choose. Hungarians, Poles, Italians, Greeks, and Sikhs all hold annual celebrations in the local area that I have attended. These are less widespread than others based on the inclinations of the local politicians to whip up fervor and the total number of participants. Not sure what your point is on this, Molly.

Kwanza also has quite a bit of participation considering how young it is as a celebration period. LOTM could tell you better than I of Jewish holiday participation, but people do take off those days in the Federal gov't/contractor community with no repercussions of which I am aware.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Nobody in the military gets Kwanza off unless they are taking Xmas leave at the same time.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
        In America, anyone can pretty well celebrate any holiday they choose. Hungarians, Poles, Italians, Greeks, and Sikhs all hold annual celebrations in the local area that I have attended. These are less widespread than others based on the inclinations of the local politicians to whip up fervor and the total number of participants. Not sure what your point is on this, Molly.

Kwanza also has quite a bit of participation considering how young it is as a celebration period. LOTM could tell you better than I of Jewish holiday participation, but people do take off those days in the Federal gov't/contractor community with no repercussions of which I am aware.

QFT.

More folks celebrate St Pattys day, then Iranian new year, cause there are more Irish, and theyve been around a long time, and everyone is kinda sorta familiar with St Pattys day. There are fewer Iranians, and AFAIK they arent as into the Iranian New Year celebration. I dont know why - Chinese New Year is a big deal, as is Cinco de Mayo.

Kwanzaa isnt widely celebrated even by blacks, who mainly celebrate Christmas. Some folks celebrate Juneteenth. Its not so much the moral quality of the guy who invented it, as it was just invented by one guy, largely in obvious imitation of Christmas and Hanukkah. Not the organic evolution of Christmas. Now I will freely admit that much contemporary celebration of Hanukkah is also imitative of Christmas - but that makes a bit more sense, since Jews (with some exceptions) DONT celebrate Christmas. Whereas almost all American Blacks DO celebrate Christmas (other than Muslim or Jewish blacks, obviously) so Kwanzaa is rather more superflous.

BTW, you should see the NYC politicians who show up for Chabad's annual menorah lighting at Grand Army Plaza in Manhattan.

So Im still missing Mollys point, I guess.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

"Special Nowruz Message from the President of United States of America (March 20, 2006)
          Presidential Message: Nowruz

I send greetings to those celebrating Nowruz.

Nowruz is an ancient celebration marking the arrival of the New Year. For millions of people around the world who trace their heritage to Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Turkey, Pakistan, India, and Central Asia, Nowruz is a celebration of life and an opportunity to express joy and happiness through visiting family and friends, exchanging gifts, and enjoying the beauty of nature.

Our Nation is blessed by the traditions and contributions of Americans of many different backgrounds. Our diversity has made us stronger and better, and Laura and I send warm regards to all Americans celebrating Nowruz.

Best wishes for peace and prosperity in the New Year.

GEORGE W. BUSH "
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

a real african american holiday

also, we honor black history month every Feb.

Comment

a "persian day parade" in NYC

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

(embedding was disabled)

Mayor Bloomberg honors Nowruz

Last edited by lord of the mark; July 18, 2007, 17:22.

Comment

BTW, I must confess I didnt do ANYTHING for Bastille day this year. Theres a restaurant in DC that used to make a big deal of it, but we didnt do anything.

QOTM and I DID got out the other night for Korean BBQ, but I dont think its a Korean holiday now. I will have to look that up.

Comment

There will definitely be another war.

We've had true peace now for like, what, 15 years? A little bit hasty to proclaim the end of war in Europe. It'd be like wondering whether there will be another war in the 1920's.

Anything can happen.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia

Would a holiday invented by a white nationalist be just as legitimate to you as Kwanzaa?
                    You mean like Lee - Jackson Day? We already have that in Virginia. It's on the same day as Martin Luther King Day, so that blacks and whites both have reasons to celebrate.

That is sooooooo messed up, you know?
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

You mean like Lee - Jackson Day? We already have that in Virginia. It's on the same day as Martin Luther King Day, so that blacks and whites both have reasons to celebrate.

who actually invented Lee- Jackson day?

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Which white nationalist holiday did you have in mind ?

Voortrekker Day ?
                        Can you answer the question without having any particular one in mind?
                        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

From what I quickly looked up, it doesn't appear to be a day that was invented by a white nationalist for the specific purpose of celebrating white culture. No doubt Lee and Jackson held beliefs that white nationalists would find agreeable, but that isn't what they are primarily known for.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

who actually invented Lee- Jackson day?
                            I can't find any other info other than that it was originally a celebration of Lee's birthday, and then Jackson was added by the Virginia legislature in 1904.

Dr Strangelove - it also appears that the holiday has been moved so as to separate it from MLK day.

Comment

EuroSim2000 Simulation results

Potential conflicts

Muslims vs. Europe
                              2030-2072 30%

Fundamentalist USA vs. troubled Europe
                              2021-2100* 20%

China vs. Europe, Russia
                              2015-2090 18%

Russia vs. Europe
                              2011-2086* 15%

China vs. Europe
                              2020-2080* 10%

Turkey vs. some of Europe
                              2020-2040 9%
                              India vs. Europe
                              2050-2110 7%
                              USA vs. Europe
                              2010-2200 4%

UK vs. France (for the fun of it)
                              2010-2340 78%

Conflict possible after development of SDI marked by *

Please take into account the time frames when considering probability. Comment and adapt to your delight.
                              I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Germany 4: World in conflict

CoreRules
                                No world war can occur without a unified Germany.

IF other conditions apply but Germany is not unified, start cold war event.

Italy must switch sides at leas:
                                number of truns into WW/5.

After Germany loses WW either:
                                divide (1/2)
                                OR
                                force to pay reparations (1/3)

AI parameters
                                IF unified THEN
                                start world war every X turns +/- Y turns.

Unification 1871
                                WW I 1914-1918 43 years
                                WWII 1939-1945 21 years

X=32 years
                                Y=11 years

First Reunification 1990
                                WWIII 2011-2033
                                Last edited by _BuRjaCi_; July 19, 2007, 12:01.
                                I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Working...
                                X