Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate my donation...

-> Magazine Forum

..to National Geographic Society and the magazine, as it's becoming increasingly clear that the editors apply a poorly concealed, raving liberal slant to nearly all of their articles, be they of an environmental, geopolitical, applied scientific, philosophical or cultural nature.

But I also like the magazine for its variety of content, its stories from around the globe, interesting maps and pictures of bare-breasted African ladies. I've subscribed for 4½ years and I'm now faced with the decision of whether to renew my membership for another year or two. The price is still very favourable, it's ~$60 for one year, ~$110 for two years.

So, who else subscribes or otherwise reads National Geographic, what do you think of their coverage - and can I really consider myself a self-respecting cultural conservative while still having it delivered to my door for another couple of years?
    Keep subscribing. Liberal lunacy is good for you
    45.45%
    Tell them to take a hike. Hiking is good for them
    36.36%
    Contact National Banana Society instead. It's good!
    18.18%

good thing penthouse artlcles are not slanted
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Me, good and no
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

i have national geographic magazines from the 80s. my chemistry teacher was cleaning and was going to throw them out! cool pictures.
        i read NG at the doctor's office.

sure you can!

Comment

Is it a requirement for you that your National Geographic magazine come with a cover?
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You mean like plainly wrapped? He-he. It's starting to feel that way lately. I find myself cursing out loud a bit sometimes at their editorial line and choice of phrasing on certain topics. I'm not the only one either; their letters to the editor reflect other readers' frustration as well.

But hey, this thread and my mild disagreement is to be taken lightly. I still value and enjoy the magazine.

Comment

It's good to be exposed to arguments and ways of thinking that you don't agree with.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                You mean like plainly wrapped? He-he. It's starting to feel that way lately. I find myself cursing out loud a bit sometimes at their editorial line and choice of phrasing on certain topics. I'm not the only one either; their letters to the editor reflect other readers' frustration as well.

But hey, this thread and my mild disagreement is to be taken lightly. I still value and enjoy the magazine.
                You totally missed my point, but I have no idea what you're talking about, so it's okay.

LS: Yes, so you can laugh at them.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Spell out your point for me then, Lorizael. I've read your post ten times and it still escapes me, if it wasn't meant the way I replied to it. (That I'm starting to feel embarrassed having such a downright activist publication brought to my doorstep.)

Comment

Oh! That makes a lot of sense. My useless point was that you can get the magazine without having to pay National Geographic any money if you don't mind getting it a month late and without a cover.

Bookstores have a habit of throwing out (or giving away, if you ask nicely) all the expired copies of an issue once the new issue comes out. The covers, however, they keep for their own nefarious purposes.

Comment

Really? That's definitely not the way they do it here. Aside from the fact that the English edition does not appear in any but a few select bookstands (and at a much higher price than the subscription rate), I have the impression that unsold newspapers and magazines (at least domestic ones) are simply returned to the publisher and their value then credited to the vendor's account. They only pay for the copies they actually manage to sell.

So, a cultural misunderstanding, eh? Now I must renew, in the hope that NG will do a feature sometime on this peculiar and foreign phenomenon.

Maybe what you describe is due to the bookstands needing to return just the covers to get re-imbursed?

Comment

Maybe what you describe is due to the bookstands needing to return just the covers to get re-imbursed?
                        Yes, in bookstores here we decide that it's too costly to ship the whole magazine back so we just send the cover as proof that it hasn't been sold. The excess magazines then get tossed in the dump. It's a great use of paper.

Comment

Interesting. One would hope they have an adequate staff of cover-girls to keep track of the returned expired copies.

Comment

Re: I hate my donation...

..to National Geographic Society and the magazine, as it's becoming increasingly clear that the editors apply a poorly concealed, raving liberal slant to nearly all of their articles, be they of an environmental, geopolitical, applied scientific, philosophical or cultural nature.
                            Reality, I'm told, has a liberal bias. The magazine is just doing its job.
                            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                              Bookstores have a habit of throwing out (or giving away, if you ask nicely) all the expired copies of an issue once the new issue comes out. The covers, however, they keep for their own nefarious purposes.
                              That's essentially stealing from National Geographic. The cover is torn off to signify that the magazine has been destroyed. The bookstore certifies that the magazine has been destroyed. Obviously, if you are obtaining the magazine without a cover, the bookstore is lying to National Geographic.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X