No announcement yet.

What's historical in your area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I could comment of Biggin Hill and it's role in WW2, but I can't be bothered at present. Instead, I will comment on West Kent Golf Club, which is where my dad is a member. One of the old boys there was telling us about golf during the war (when he was a wee lad). He'd say, "You think landing your ball in a bunker is bad, in our day the hazards were unexploded Luftwaffe bombs!". Or something like that.

I reckon, being an 8 year old at the time, that he used to go to the open course to watch the dogfights rather than play golf.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

My dad was evacuated out of London in WW2 to a village not far from Biggin Hill, from where he watched the dogfights.

Comment

Last ever civilian fatality due to enemy action in WW2 died in Orpington when a V2 landed on a house in Court Road.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
          Last ever civilian fatality due to enemy action in WW2 died in Orpington when a V2 landed on a house in Court Road.
          In the UK, you mean.

Comment

Yeah. I actually edited to say WW2 but not to say UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
              Famous 19th Century D's please.
              Charles Montagu Doughty:

Another 19th Century bonkers Brit. explorer.
              Attached Files
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Well, I live in NYC, so...I will pick the most obvious choice from my immiate neighborhood:

Fort Washington was a fortified position on the northern heights of Manhattan Island. It was held by 2900 Continental Soldiers. On November 16, 1776 8000 British and Hessians under General Wilhelm von Knyphausen attacked the fort with support from Admiral Howes fleet on the river. It was a complete British victory and sealed the expulsion of American forces from the NYC area during the revolutionary war. In this battle Margaret Corbin became the first woman to fight for the Continental Army.

The actual fort stodd on what is today Bennet Park, which lies at the highest natural point on Manhattan island. The pictured rampart is actually in Fort Tryon park, about ten blocks north, though there is where the battle is commemorated on its anniverasy.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

That's in NYC?

Looks like fackin' sticksville to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X