No announcement yet.

What's historical in your area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Around the city, where I was born, the biggest battle in Europe prior to WW1 took place. Over half a million troops, resulting in about a hundred thousand deads and injured. The stench of so many rotting bodies infested the city for weeks.

This monument was built at the 100th anniversary of the slaughter.
    Attached Files

Comment

In the place where I'm living at the moment, the inventor of one of the most popular styles of clothing in the today's western world was born.

Comment

Lederhosen???
        Blah

Comment

No, jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
            Around the city, where I was born, the biggest battle in Europe prior to WW1 took place. Over half a million troops, resulting in about a hundred thousand deads and injured. The stench of so many rotting bodies infested the city for weeks.
            Umm, what city, what battle, what war, what year?
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
              Check the file name
              Lime roots and treachery!
              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                The Battle of Nations near Leipzig in the Liberation wars against Napoleon 1813. The mentioned monument was built at the 100th anniversary, in the eve of a yet bigger slaughter.

On a sidenote, my parents told me, that the day the Berlin Wall was initiated (August 13th, 1961) they were with me on top of that monument. Reportedly I was amazed about the sight from a 91m tall monument. I was 3 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

Yes, I know Coventry folk who also blame the council. Spon Street used to be nice when I lived there.

What I never understood was the feeble "The City in Shakespeare Country" that they had on signs. I always thought the city did itself down with that.
                  You want they should brag about Vince Hill and Larry Grayson ?

I suppose they could have mentioned George Eliot, Clive Owen, Billie Whitelaw, Nigel Hawthorne, Frank Whittle, Philip Larkin, Jerry Dammers...

...'Philip Larkin Country' sounds impossibly depressing though.

Coventry and Warwickshire made geographic and cultural sense. Lumping Coventry in with Birmingham was a ghastly idea.
                  Attached Files
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                    You want they should brag about Vince Hill and Larry Grayson ?
                    They could have bragged about the motor industry :shrug:. It's not like Stratford-upon-Avon was in Coventry - it's bleedin' miles away.

Jerry Dammers

Comment

They could have bragged about the motor industry :shrug:.
                      Jaguar Country ?

Big game hunters only need apply....

It's not like Stratford-upon-Avon was in Coventry
                      No, but they were both in Warwickshire originally.

And there is the Shakespeare link (however tenuous)...

Using information from the fascinating book 'Shakespeare the Player' by John Southworth, it seems quite likely that the first appearance of William Shakespeare in Coventry was in 1580, when he was almost certainly a sixteen year-old apprentice player with the group known as Worcester's Men. It is known that they performed in Coventry on the 22nd November of that year.
                      Attached Files

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Jaguar Country ?
                        Well, maybe I knew more people that made a living on the track at 'The Jag' than off Spokeshave. How about "London Taxi Country".

No, but they were both in Warwickshire originally.
                        That's like Maidstone selling itself as the "Er, town in Dickens Country" because Rochester is up the road.

And there is the Shakespeare link (however tenuous)...
                        So he did a gig there. Yay.

Maybe they should settle for "Older than Birmingham".

Comment

That's like Maidstone selling itself as the "Er, town in Dickens Country" because Rochester is up the road.
                          Given the places Dickens lived, worked or visited, where isn't 'Dickens Country' in the South East ?

My old school:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Given the places Dickens lived, worked or visited, where isn't 'Dickens Country' in the South East ?
                            Yep. He used to live on Bayham Street - just down the road from me.

Comment

Yep. He used to live on Bayham Street - just down the road from me.
                              The Dickens Museum in Camden is jolly super.

Sit at the desk that Dickens farted at.

What a treat.

Comment

Famous 19th Century D's please.

Darwin lived not too far from me, at Downe House.
                                Down House is the former home of the English naturalist Charles Darwin and his family. It is located in Downe in the London Borough of Bromley, a suburb 14.2 miles (22.8 km) south east of Charing Cross. It was in the house that Darwin worked on his theories of evolution by natural selection. It is now a museum

I especially like the map, go east a bit and you can see Badgers Mount - Pratt's Bottom

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X