Tories under Cameron "believe in nothing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cort Haus
    Previous Tory governments liked to strike postures against public spending, but I think you'll find they never actually reduced it. I don't recall detailed pledges from Cameron to either reduce spending or state interference.
    well thatcher did manage to make the state smaller, but it's the difference in attitude that's most striking. labour believe that all our problems could be solved, if only they had a bit more of your money and a bit more control over your life. but it's never quite enough of course, and so the pattern has repeated itself over the last ten years, with evermore taxes and state interference. this will not change, despite brown's feeble attempts to say otherwise.

not that today's tories sound much better, but at least when they come to power, their attitude will (hopefully) be different.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I have hopes for Brown. He could be all substance and no style- a chairman PM in the style of Attlee (albeit nowhere near as radical a reformer).

Probably the best sort of PM in most times, really.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

I thought believing in stuff went out of style with the Cold War.
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
          I thought believing in stuff went out of style with the Cold War.
          Yes, basically.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
            I definitely prefer "believe in nothing" Clinton over "I have nothing to offer but belief" Bush.
            QFT.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              THEY MADE YOU A MOD?!
              Thus proving the site ownership are much like the Tories.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                X