No announcement yet.

Cheney: Office not part of executive branch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark the folks whove been taken, are not US citizens - a govt using that mechanism to maintain itself in power a la 1984 would almost only be concerned about its own citizens.
    True, though I'm not sure how that's supposed to be better or worse.

And I cant recall anyone seriously portraying Dubya as visionary. He definitely does make decisions - it would be very odd to have govt official who didnt. It would also be unique to have a US president who didnt claim to be out for the protection of the US - can you think of any?
    The Neocon apparatus clearly thinks of itself and tries to portray itself as visionary and transformative in its goals. W is the figurehead for it, so...

In any case though, I was more getting at the juxtaposition of 'fearless, faultless leader' and 'misguided, clueless fool.' I, at least, have never claimed he's a visionary...
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi
      The Neocon apparatus clearly thinks of itself and tries to portray itself as visionary and transformative in its goals. W is the figurehead for it, so...
      Yes the Neocons consider themselves visionary, as its leading proponent William Kristol said its "liberalism grown-up" so its defenietely Idealistic. But I doubt Bush is its figurehead. The neocons actually backed McCain in 2000. They came in as a faction with cheney and rumsfeld and won out in a lot of policy decisions as Bush came to support their goals especially after 9/11. However the Weekly Standard, the "official" magazine of neoconservativism, from time to time challenges Bush. so I think its too much to say bush is their figurehead, he may have been the biggest initiator of their policies, but not their figurehead.
      Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

I think, in terms of visibility to the layperson, he would have to be considered the figurehead. However, point taken.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi

True, though I'm not sure how that's supposed to be better or worse.

In any case though, I was more getting at the juxtaposition of 'fearless, faultless leader' and 'misguided, clueless fool.' I, at least, have never claimed he's a visionary...
          News for you - every think tank and opinion magazine in DC thinks it visionary and transformative - AEI, PNAC, Weekly Standard are hardly unique.

W is not the figurehead of the neocon movement, hes frequently dissappointed them, and many of them were really for McCain in 2000 (well the circle around Kristol certainly was)

oops, missed some of what E said.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Hi, I'd like to introduce you to the concept of allegory.
            We will discuss that once you grasp the concept of Exaggeration. We will them move on the Baseless and Absurd.
            Last edited by Patroklos; June 29, 2007, 08:55.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
              We will discuss that once you grasp the concept of Exageration.
              Bolding your own spelling errors makes it unsatisfyingly easy for spelling Nazis like myself.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Right behind you.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

As long as you realize it is appropriate to apply the word "Nazi" in such cases.

Bolding brackets do defeat the spell-check, unfortunately
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                    We will discuss that once you grasp the concept of Exaggeration. We will them move on the Baseless and Absurd.
                    See, now, if you had done it in the order I suggested we wouldn't have had to go into all these other areas. Though I'm thinking more and more that we should add pedantic to the list.

Comment

• If you cared about details, we would not end up with such meaningless comparisons. Though it is not just you, it seems exaggeration is the order of the day in oh so many things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                        Sorry Patty, Koy is on the money.

Comment

Working...
                        X