No announcement yet.

Are you mentally ill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semantics. Just deal with the fact we're addicts.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

As far as addictionas go there are physical addictions like nicotine and heroin, where you become phsycially dependent on the drug in order to avoid withdrawals and function in life. Those are pretty specific and require only certain substances to work.

Then there are psychological addictions. Because it is a mental function, you can potentially become addicted to anything. physically speaking, it's not as dangerous as say alcoholism, but it can cause equal mental anguish.

So yeah video games can be an addiction, but people are no more prone to vg addiction than they are to television, or driving, or anything else.
      Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
      Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Kid, dont' say that. You know, after we've banned music, movies, games and everything else that is wrong with the western culture, rotting the youth and turning them into mindless killers, we might soon have a situation at our hands where the only thing left to ban is stupid and incompetent parents.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
          Kid, dont' say that. You know, after we've banned music, movies, games and everything else that is wrong with the western culture, rotting the youth and turning them into mindless killers, we might soon have a situation at our hands where the only thing left to ban is stupid and incompetent parents.
          I eagerly await this day.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Why's it always "this should be banned" "why do you want to ban everything?" it's a matter of cultural nuances and individuals taking responsibility. Talk of baning things (or not) does nothing for the problem, except cause it to fester under a false impression that these laws are actually capabable of doing something.

Writing something in a book of laws, or tossing people in jail, or taking children from their parents does absolutely nothing for the benefit of the society or culture. If, for instance, you think people ought to be socializing outside instead of playing video games, then go out into your neighbourhood and start building a community that fosters this. Culture and community are not things that can be legislated.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Banning is quite a resource heavy endeavor. Good point Ludd.

Comment

Obsessed with people or obsessed with things. Pick your poison. Or become a monk.

Heh, General Ludd's comment reminded me of something.

I did an Outward bound course, and while we were tramping through a forest far far away from civilization, I was talking to one of the group, a young man like me. He was complaining about society, and in particular he was complaining that his (hypothetical) kids would never want to come out and see this wilderness, that they'd want to spend all their time watching TV and playing video games, he seemed pretty bitter about it. He seemed to have forgotten that as their Dad it would be his role, even responsibility to choose what they experience and to guide them, I pointed that out to him and he was like "Blah" and shut up. It was interesting... that people can be that, well... ignorant on the role of upbringing. I myself would never have followed that line of reasoning.
                If I were ever a parent (highly doubtful) there wouldn't be a TV in the house, and I wouldn't let the kids have a gaming computer either, like until teens anyway, it would encourage socializing because they'd have to go over to other kids houses to play games .

Comment

Ban banning!
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Hah, how could you post on 'Poly, much less play Civ without a computer?

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
                      Hah, how could you post on 'Poly, much less play Civ without a computer?
                      Libraries, and other people's computers.

I don't have a computer of my own. Hell, I don't even have a home to put one in, anyways. The only times I post here is when I'm stuck somewhere that happens to have a computer, and I'm procrastinating or feeling ruttish.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Yeah but that statement carries more weight in relation to Blake b/c he pays for special account privileges. Though I hope you have regular access to a computer if you expect your gnomes to prosper.

Comment

Hah, how could you ... play Civ without a computer?
                          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Your enitre post is a giant strawman. How are you going to debate whether or not someone armed with spears could take down a tank without the internet? Apolyton the Boardgame hasn't come out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              Semantics. Just deal with the fact we're addicts.
                              Moi?

Never!

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Yeah but that statement carries more weight in relation to Blake b/c he pays for special account privileges. Though I hope you have regular access to a computer if you expect your gnomes to prosper.
                                Ah, but I didn't pay money for my "special account privileges" .

But anyway I don't see why no computer for Kids means no computer for me. I bet there will be some awesome biometrics within 15 years and anyway, all the games installed on my computer would be automatically uncool by virtue of the fact that Dad plays them .

Comment

Working...
                                X