Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the stupidest invention ever attenpted to be passed of as military hardware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the stupidest invention ever attenpted to be passed of as military hardware?

My own pick would be the near-legendary proposal to turn icebergs into unsinkable aircraft carriers.

Permanently ice-bound aircraft carriers, covered in ice. Hmmmmm.....
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

That French Gun Congress forced upon us in WWI.

The Ice Carrier was actually quite a good idea. It wouldn't have been of ice. It would have been made of ice mixed tons of other things that made it super hard and it still floats. The only problem is that it takes a long time to build.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Comment

It would also have been a ***** to steer, unbelievably costly, and permanently fog-bound.

Comment

The Iraqi supergun.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

This probably doesn't really count, as it turned out to be a major military and spaceflight technology.

However, as far as WW2 was concerned, the V2 was pretty crap. If they'd spent the effort they put into that on building tanks, maybe we'd all be speaking German now. I saw one today at the RAF Museum in Hendon, and learned that more of them hit Antwerp than their target of London.

Comment

SDI
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
              This probably doesn't really count, as it turned out to be a major military and spaceflight technology.

However, as far as WW2 was concerned, the V2 was pretty crap. If they'd spent the effort they put into that on building tanks, maybe we'd all be speaking German now. I saw one today at the RAF Museum in Hendon, and learned that more of them hit Antwerp than their target of London.
              Eh? Antwerp was a target. And though I wouldn't know whether it was worthwhile costs/benefits-wise (probably not), the V1 and V2 campaign was actually pretty effective in hampering port operations.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Was it? Sorry, I stand corrected - I was under the impression that they'd landed there by mistake.

I'll get my coat.

Comment

Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                  CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                  One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢

Eh? Antwerp was a target. And though I wouldn't know whether it was worthwhile costs/benefits-wise (probably not), the V1 and V2 campaign was actually pretty effective in hampering port operations.
                    If all that fuel, electronics and expertise had been invested in anti-aircraft missiles (for example), then the Germans could have fought on for longer.

Comment

The Gay Bomb
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The T-90.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                          The Gay Bomb
                          Yes- that was a particularly dumb one. Unless you think transforming your enemies from unmotivated amateurs into hormonally-enraged would-be rapists is going to boost your army's morale.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman

If all that fuel, electronics and expertise had been invested in anti-aircraft missiles (for example), then the Germans could have fought on for longer.
                            Maybe, but even though it may not have been the best bang for the buck in those particular circumstances, I'd argue missiles aren't a stupid invention.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

This is obviously the winner.

Comment

Working...
                              X