Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the greatest WW2 military strategist/tactician?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arguably, General Georgi Zhukov (Russian)
    He had showed some mild skills in the mid war period, but after that his offensives amounted to little more than wave tactics. He gets credit for not being executed by Stalin when whole Soviet armies were mauled by a few undermanned German divisions every now and again.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

And what about that Alan Brooke guy, in HOI2 DD he gives a manpower bonus , but what are his historic achievements?
      Blah

Comment

Wingate was howlingly eccentric, and had to be placed in extremely hazardous commands- in safe postings he became depressed, and when placed in a desk position in Cairo he attempted suicide. He was also a hugely enthusiastic nudist, and rarely wore clothes while giving staff briefings.

Comment

The German colonel who came up with the plan to drive through the Ardenne wouldn't be a bad choice. edit: Manstein, and he was a Lt. General, not a Colonel

And I too think "Market Garden" was a decent idea, albeit one that failed. A Bridge too Far...

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras

I am of course biased, in a sense that maybe, just maybe, there would be an armistice with Russians halfway through Poland, and with Germany under control of Western Allies, Eastern Europe would not have been sold down the drain in Yalta...

Would the Germans really have kept fighting in central Poland while there were allied troops entering NW Germany? Id assume theyd have pulled troops from east to west, stiffening the western front and weakening the eastern front.

Its real hard, I think, to do a post D-Day what if that results in a massively different post war demarcation.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Would the Germans really have kept fighting in central Poland while there were allied troops entering NW Germany? Id assume theyd have pulled troops from east to west, stiffening the western front and weakening the eastern front.

Its real hard, I think, to do a post D-Day what if that results in a massively different post war demarcation.
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but in late WW2 many Germans were motivated to hold on as long as possible in the East in order to have as little of Germany falling to Russians as possible.
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in late WW2 many Germans were motivated to hold on as long as possible in the East in order to have as little of Germany falling to Russians as possible.
                maybe, but the guys who were running things faced the hangmans noose either way. If Hitler, Himmler, etc had sent units West in January of '45, would some Wehrmacht Prussian general have refused the order? (the Prussians having generally been brought to heel since the '44 assasination attempt) Did they refuse strategic orders from Hitler before he was cut off in Berlin?
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Jeez, they'd be OVER THE RHINE! Russians were still fighting in ESTONIA back then. A lot of possibilities.
                  Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                  Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                  Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                    And what about that Alan Brooke guy, in HOI2 DD he gives a manpower bonus , but what are his historic achievements?
                    Corps commander in the BEF - his subordinates included Alexander and Montgomery
                    Commander all land forces in the UK from July 1940 - in charge of invasion defence
                    Army chief of staff from December 1941- getting the Americans to do what they should and stopping Churchill from doing what he shouldn't
                    "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                      My own choice- Orde Wingate.

and when placed in a desk position in Cairo he attempted suicide.
                      Because of malaria medication.

He'd contracted it in the Sudan-Ethiopian Campaign and the potent cocktail of chemicals caused temporary mental derangement- as some anti-malarials still do today.

He's oen of my favourites too, and thankfully more people are beginning to appreciate how his reputation was deliberately tarnished by hostile official military historians and jealous and biased old guard fellow officers.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                      X