Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the greatest WW2 military strategist/tactician?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the greatest WW2 military strategist/tactician?

I'm going for Orde Wingate. I won't explain why just yet. It'll be worth waiting for- trust me.

In the meantime, who are your picks?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

I'd say Abrams. He actually came up with the much of the plan Patton used to break the Battle of the Bulge.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Comment

By the end of WWII Hitler had become such a military genius that he operated with armies that didn't exist
      Blah

Comment

Isoroku Yamamoto

Comment

Dwight David Eisenhower for heading up a coalition of prima donna's (Strategist)

Pictured here with George Patton on right and in center Omar N Bradley
          Attached Files
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Captain Sam Manekshaw
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Göring Just look at his decorations
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Stalin, he crushed the Finns
                Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                  Stalin, he crushed the Finns
                  You do know, FDF was never militarily defeated... By a hair's width, granted.
                  I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

My own choice- Orde Wingate.

Wingate pioneered what we now know as special forces operations- relatively small elite forces operating behind enemy lines to create chaos. In Ethiopia his Gieon Force (never more than 1700 strong) took over 15,000 Italian prisoners and drove back two armies.

However it's for his Burmese actions that he's best remembered. He founded the Chindits- a small force of fast-moving guerillas supplied by air that repeatedly cut Japanese supply lines. The Chindits were the first British forces to really hurt the Japanese advance, and made them look horribly vulnerable.

Wingate was howlingly eccentric, and had to be placed in extremely hazardous commands- in safe postings he became depressed, and when placed in a desk position in Cairo he attempted suicide. He was also a hugely enthusiastic nudist, and rarely wore clothes while giving staff briefings.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Interesting. I remember reading about Merril's Marauders, who were apparently inspired by the Chindits.

Comment

But what about Monty?

I mean clearly Operation Market Garden was a stroke of mad genius.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                          But what about Monty?

I mean clearly Operation Market Garden was a stroke of mad genius.
                          Q F T

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

In defense of Monty and Market Garden - audacity, audacity-always audacity. Was it a gamble? Yes. Were the losses staggering? Yes. Was it doomed from the outset? Absolutely not. Were the fruits of success worth the risk? Of course. The whole of postwar Europe might have looked different, i.e. the Russians would be further away. Maybe even the Cold war would have been less cold.

I am of course biased, in a sense that maybe, just maybe, there would be an armistice with Russians halfway through Poland, and with Germany under control of Western Allies, Eastern Europe would not have been sold down the drain in Yalta...
                            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Arguably, General Georgi Zhukov (Russian) or Field Marshall Alan Brooke (British).
                              On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Working...
                              X