X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am happy

Are you?

I am.

I know my future for the next 3 years and have secured salary for that time period. So, uncertain factors have been removed and I can enjoy stuff. It's summer, that's awesome. There's sun and warmth. There's good parties ahead as well. So why would I not be happy? I also appreciate stuff now more than before. I appreciate such things as having the company of good friends more. Not like I didn't do that before, it's just that I appreciate it more. We've come to a point where we usually say "thanks for your company" and it's natural. We never used to say that. But we just feel lucky to be able to maintain the old crew and do our traditional things even today. Usually friends break up a bit with their jobs and families, but it seems we are still going strong. We just have more money to party So we have cool parties, plus we are starting to do more traveling together as well. Planning a trip, going to SEA. Cool stuff

So why wouldn't I be happy, I have solved professional problems for the time being, I have great friends, it's summer and there's always a party to look forward... awesome.

I hope you're happy as well.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

So you got it arranged to finish your masters by Sept? Or did you get them to make that no longer a requirement.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

JM, both. It's not technically possible, even if I did all the work required, but my advisor is a good one so he's making all kinds of moves to help me fight bureaucracy. So, in real life it would mean that the deadline... I'd shoot over about a month or so, just waiting papers etc. to be accepted and all that kind of stuff, even though no work left for myself.

So basically I can do the work itself, but also the guys over at the other end said the job is waiting for me there, they just wanted to motivate me so I can start ASAP.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

dam
        Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
        Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Humans aren't designed to be happy for long periods of time, sorry

I read this in the New York Times. It is in our genes and this will not last.

Comment

I'm happy, but also a little nervous.

Work is fine, just a little slow, and being in the manufacturing sector that can be scary. However, marketing efforst have been stepped up and we are looking at expanding into the EU and other countries, and it appears there's a pretty good pipeline. Thus, while I should be more scared about my job security, I'm really not. Besides, should I get laid off there are a good number of pharma/biotech companies in the area.

What I am most nervous about is that I start school in January and have another kid in February/March. Josie is almost 2 and is just recently that we've completely adapted to her such that we aren't constantly caring for her or watching her every move. Thus, I'm looking at 2 very busy years coming up, and that creates the nervousness. Not sure if it's anxiety or excitement though. I'm not looking forward to the work and sleepless nights, but the reward will be well worth it, and that is good.

Thus, Life is good. Thanks be to God.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
              looking at expanding into the EU and other countries...
              Thanks.

Comment

What?
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Re: I am happy

Originally posted by Pekka
                  There's sun and warmth.
                  Just curious, what's called "warmth" for a Finn? If the temperature goes above 0° Celsius?

Comment

Oh how I've missed your insanity, Pekka.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Sir Ralph, anything where you can go out without a jacket I guess. If you can wear a t-shirt, it's warm. 20 Celsius is I guess the optimal weather for a Finn. 25 is still fine, 30 is a bit too much. For example I die at 40 Celsius.

Japher, I've seen that, lots of our soon-to-be-professors are also having young kids and babies while at their rush and crunch time of the career. What can you do though, it's a dream of a kind, so you can handle it. It's only temporary and you will be rewarded when you've finished it. The best time to do your MBA? When ever you can, as soon as possible . So this is the right time for you I reckon. It's pretty cool as well, MBA that is.

I remember you were in the drug business, but I can't remember if you were in R&D? If so, I mean you're not the first one to get laid off, so you should be able to notice the signs early on and start flirting with other companies should it ever happen. So.. you should get a decent buffer time.
                      In da butt.

Comment

I'm in manufacturing. However, I'm the only technical supervisor for one of our products. I only see getting laid off if we decide never to make the drug again. And, since we are applying for approval for the drug in other markets, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Yeah, I have a friend who once said that there is never a right time to have a kid, because it's always the right time. That friend is poor and can't afford his kids. Wifey and I are doing fine, it'll just be a life changing event, and that is fine.

The MBA will be a life changing event too. I'm just now trying to decide what I will want to do with it. Exciting, tough, but definitly will be worth it. Having the support of friends and family really helps. It's good to have ppl in your corner pulling for you.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Right. I also noticed that a lot of people supported me when I got the news for this last success. It was quite fun to get all the congrats.

Ah so you're supervising now. Well... once you get the MBA, you'll be ready to take the next step . Even if the hit some rocks, you'll still have your MBA, should help you with a new job. But that's not what we're really talking about, since there's no signs of business going down for you guys.
                          In da butt.

Comment

I know my future for the next 3 years

Comment

Three years? That would make me happy too. If there's one thing I've learned in this life is that the next minute might hold real surprises.
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                              X