"We've invented adolescence, and stretched it out too far" says psychologist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guynemer
    I'm rotating through the teen clinic this month, and I can say this without reservations:

Nearly all teenagers are, in one way or another, idiots, and incapable of functioning as adults. Now, whether or not that is due to the facts of biology or just the way society functions, I don't know. But I do know I wouldn't trust a teenager to do jack ****.
    That's because that's the way society makes them. Nobody had these problems back when teens either took up work, or went for higher education with the same standing as adults.

Comment

And you can say that any chosen age group is not biologically adult by arbitrarily revising the definition of biological adulthood to exclude them.

Comment

Well, fine. Devil's Advocate: society made them this way.

It matters ****-all to me, since they are the way they are--dumber than a sack of hammers.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Honestly I See this problem in myself. I feel like I Am still an adolescent, even though I have mostly been paying for myself (through work, scholarships, and loans) since I entered college. I have tied it to getting married/having children, but maybe it is more of an attitude that I acquired and haven't lost yet.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

It matters ****-all to me, since they are the way they are--dumber than a sack of hammers.
            That is why society has to change to give them more rights and responsibility so they can grow up properly like God intended.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

So shouldn't we try to fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

That is why society has to change to give them more rights and responsibility so they can grow up properly like God intended.
                If true, yeah, go ahead and try to fix it. In the meantime, they're still ****ing idiots, and if we let them all loose right now, we're gonna see a lot of dead kids.

Comment

Surely it is a gradual process.

Epstein's recommendations are for competency tests of some kind that people can take at any age to prove themselves able to handle X, Y, or Z.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Who's gonna stop them from doing X, Y, or Z? They're still doing them now, and getting into deep **** because of it, even through they're not supposed to (sex, drugs, alcohol).

Comment

Yea, obviously.

Allowed to do them legally, and not be looked down on for doing them.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that there isn't one correct way to determine the stages in life. There are lots of different approaches in evidence today.

By the way, this strikes me more as a sociology question rather than a psychology question.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Have you worked with drug addicted teens, teens with STDs, pregnant teens? I'm not convinced they can handle those things, even if they are treated as adults.

Comment

Are drug addicted teens so much worse off than drug addicted adults?

For a lot of those people we may be too late. Their character has been shaped by the ageist, infantilizing world we live in. If we can reshape things for the next generation you'll see much less drug addicts and STDs and such.

Comment

They have been able to handle those things for most of human history, I think education created adolescence, now you have to go to primary school, secondary schol, university etc, but in the past the man would learn since he was a little boy a profession like shoemaking, baking, as a blacksmith etc, get married at age 16 or 17, and work like an adult to take care of his family.
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

I agree. It is a lack of responsibility that is an issue here, as such they take on this lack of responsibility and continue it on in their lives (in drugs and sex, for example). If they were given responsibility, they would be more responsible in other areas (like drugs and sex).

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X