No announcement yet.

Is this song chauvinist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any problem with the first one.
    Every nation thinks its the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
      I don't have any problem with the first one.
      Every nation thinks its the best.
      I've been trying to thing of an American patriotic song that says America is the best, and I can't think of one. I mean, I'm sure there's some Country Music crap that does, but of the traditional American partiotic songs, nope. For all our bluster, our patriotic songs are rather humble. Consider:

The Syar Spangled Banner - Yea! We survived!
      America the Beautiful - America is beautiful
      God Bless America - America needs God's help
      It's a Grand Old Flag - I like the flag, because it stands for the country I love

etc.

We don't have anything even as bombastic as "Rule Brittania," let alone the songs in the OP. I like that about us.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbertus
        He did. He started a thread which is about India and evil Islam.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
          Just wanted to confirm.

BTW, I too think that they're both too chauvinist to be used by any real Indian nationalist. They just don't fit with the Indian ethos. The "progressives" in India like the first song, because it was written by a Muslim, and it's patriotic, but I don't like the chauvinist ethos of it.

Do you love your mother because she is the "Best mother in the world"? Or do you love her because she is your mother? And today if I wrote a song about love for the mother, saying all the time that "You're the best mother in the world", then wouldn't it be sick and perverse? Now India is the Motherland, and this attitude of comparing the Motherland to others is just not right, it is not Indic, it is twisted, and it should be dumped.
          India ain't my motherland. My bum is untouched, thank you.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well it has some chauvinism elements
            diseasesarchive.com

Comment

Working...
            X