No announcement yet.

Reliability of weather forecasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would suggest that weather forecasts are not that accurate at 10 days, but they generally indicate where weather patterns are in the area. I would generally say that 7 days are about as far out as you can really trust, though.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Gregor was a meteorologist.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
        not reliable
        Indeed -- I find even short-term forecasts leave much to be desired.

Three steps to devise your own forecast:

1) Check a ('local') barometer.
        2) Check a weather radar map, e.g. at Intellicast
        3) Look out the window.

My Grade 9 science fair project revolved around the accuracy of weather forecasts (locally to me)...
        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Meteorologists are the dentists of the sciences. If you can't cut it as a doctor, you become a dentist...if you can't cut it as a serious scientist, you become a meteorologist.
          If you can't become a serious engineer, you become a computer consultant.

Comment

That actually makes no sense.

Comment

Well, you're a compsci major. I'd expect meteorologists to disagree with Asher's preposterous assertion as well.

Comment

I know a bunch of people who are ECE because CS is too hard, but none the reverse...

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                  If you can't become a serious engineer, you become a computer consultant.
                  Doesn't follow, because computer consultants make more money than serious engineers, in general. They also typically have to do more creative thinking.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                  X