Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should age of consent laws apply to males?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should age of consent laws apply to males?

An interesting question I came across when pondering the age of consent laws of India.

Over here, the age of consent is 16.

However, this applies only to women. That is, unless it comes under child abuse, it is perfectly legal for a fourteen or fifteen year old to have sex with an older woman of any age whatsoever.

So it works out like this:

a) Boy between the ages of fourteen to eighteen (the ages when you can have sex but are not a child any longer) - can have sex with any older woman. Basically, this is the time when almost everything is fair game.

b) Boy after eighteen - can have sex with any girl older than 16.

c) Girl before 16 - cannot have sex legally (unless probably the male is equally young).

d) Girl above 16 - free for all.

Is this a sensible policy? Should the age of consent for males be lowered to something like fourteen or fifteen in other countries, considering the much lower psychological impact a non-abusive relationship at that age has on us? If it's abusive, that can be dealt with under child abuse laws, but if it isn't, then should the state interfere? Under Indian law, the state doesn't care as long as it isn't abusive.

Males should be no different.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Re: Should age of consent laws apply to males?

Originally posted by aneeshm

d) Girl above 16 - free for all.
      With a policy like that, no wonder you guys are having a population boom!
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

That's it - I'm moving to India right now

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

If you are geek chic enough, just import a bride:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

What's Wales enlightenment?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Males aren't an exception in here, so the age applies both to males and females. I think it's only consistent.

Naturally exceptions do apply, if both partners are of same age, say a boy is 14 and the girl is also 14, no one would be charged. The problem becomes real when the relationship is asymmetric with their ages.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Yes, it should be applicable to all.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

even animals?
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Boys and girls are different.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                      even animals?
                      Yes, boy and girl animals, too.

Comment

Age of consent presumably means that one is mature enough to take responsibility for their actions.

Males by and large never mature so by extension age of consent is meaningless for them.
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Traitor!

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I got no sons I'm trying to protect.
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

In the U.S., they apply to boys as well as girls.

It's easy to make jokes about it, but if you were paying attention to the Catholic Church molestation cases, you'd have an idea of how a boy can get messed up when he's seduced at too early of an age. Child molestation for either age is a horrible thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X