No announcement yet.

For once Georgia fixes a past mistake.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was tried for rape and acquitted. Is that what you're talking about?
    Yeah, but it was at the same party. Oerdin (and many article authors) leave that out so their boy looks better. Read the details and it is clear the travesty of justice is not the molestation part.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

i think Patrokolos is on about the attempts of some to paint Genarlow as pure as driven snow and that he is being persecuted purely because southerners hate blacks for a trumped up outdated fundy christian outdated law.

P. believes Genarlow made more than his fair share of mistakes is lucky to have escaped rape charges. The fact that he got snagged on the molestation charges is while not fair perhaps a bit of poetic justice.

If I were to guess.
      Spot on.

And Oerdin, once again, cherry picking/manipulating an issue.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

10 years for a BJ does seem extreme.

Why do the other events matter? If I read correctly, he was acquitted of the other charge.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

If we can discuss why he should not be in jail for molestation, we can surely discuss why he sould be in jail for rape.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

Spot on.

And Oerdin, once again, cherry picking/manipulating an issue.
            The latter is pretty much always a given.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

One instance looks like a screwup in the law (Consensual sex may have been okay legally but a BJ was not - legislative oversight being the implication). The other instance was a verdict after a (presumably) fair trial.

The 1st instance is much more troubling to me.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                One instance looks like a screwup in the law (Consensual sex may have been okay legally but a BJ was not - legislative oversight being the implication). The other instance was a verdict after a (presumably) fair trial.

The 1st instance is much more troubling to me.
                Tru dat which is why the law was immediately rewritten based upon this case to merely make it a misdemeanor. Damn those fundy backward bigoted hater southerners.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Tru dat which is why the law was immediately rewritten based upon this case to merely make it a misdemeanor. Damn those fundy backward bigoted hater southerners.
                  That wasn't my point. This sort of thing can happen elsewhere.

Trying to use evidence of another crime (unproven) to show he was a bad guy in this case is highly unfair.

Comment

Obviously they thought he was a white boy with all the talk about his 3.2 GPA and sweet All American demeaner.

Comment

Trying to use evidence of another crime (unproven) to show he was a bad guy in this case is highly unfair.
                      How so?

Comment

In a court of law obviously. In the court of public opinion anything but.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

How so?
                          B/c we don't use evidence of past transgressions to prove the person committed the present crime. Particularly offensive would be the use of UNPROVEN allegations. Let me selectively go through your past and I can show you've been an insensitive SOB (even though I know you aren't ).

If found guilty, such "evidence" is entirely appropriate for sentencing purposes.

Ogie - Perhaps, but maybe the court of public opinion doesn't have all the facts....

Comment

B/c we don't use evidence of past transgressions to prove the person committed the present crime.
                            I am not trying to do this, I don't think he should be in jail for the molestation crime. I think he should be in jail for the rape.

I bring his rape up to counter Oerdin's "ohhhh the injustice of it all, racism..." BS. This guy is not a good kid. He is a rapist.

Comment

When I first heard this story I was like Oerdin, minus his obligatory racism rant (not sure how he will tie this into Bush, but he will trust me). It was a story on ESPN about this good student, never done anything wrong in his life being held in prison for something so stupid.

But then I heard about the rest of his story. He isn't anything special. And you don't just go off and start gang raping people on a whim, he has probably done stuff like this before. So really the molestation thing was just karma ****ing with him. The universe righting itself and **** like that.

Comment

Ogie - Perhaps, but maybe the court of public opinion doesn't have all the facts....
                                Not arguing that we ever do. That of course doesn't prevent the human species from feeling compelled to rush to judgment regardless. Case in point the OT.

Little niggling things those things FACTS. For example, an all white jury doesn't hand down sentencing. They do provide a verdict. Sentencing comes from the judge in accordance with sentencing guidelines and provisions.

or other gems of unproven BAMishness such as

There were charges of racism because it happened in Georgia where there is still hard feelings about the idea of a black man having sex with a white woman even though the Supreme Court throw out the Southern laws which made such relationships illegal.
                                Source of such FACTS? Latest polling number of societal beliefs in GA perhaps?

Finally, this unjust and racist sentence has been over turned though this poor kid isn't going to get the years of his life back.
                                Racist? How so if one is required to comply with mandatory sentencing? Unjust arguably so, racist not so much simply a FACT of the aforementioned mandatory sentencing.

Comment

Working...
                                X